Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What constitutes a 'rest day'?

Feedback Score
    I agree. Rest day is just a day with no trip to the gym or running/biking or other serious cardio.

Still might play tennis and will probably do some manual labor around the house (mow lawn, rake leaves, wash a car etc.)

I never have a day where I spend it laying on the couch -there is too much around here that needs to be done and I have never been one that likes to be idle for long, anyways. Probably why I don't blow major money on a nice tv, game system or a nice couch! LOL

Feedback Score
    Hmmm... None of you guys must watch the Walking Dead. Designed to make rest days meaningful.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I prefer to call them Recovery Days.

Brisk walk, yoga. I can't do nothing.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    Rest days for me means not lifting. Cardio is typically done on rest days, so for me that's either single track mtn biking, and/or BJJ.
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swstock View Post
    Resting doesnt mean laying around.

It means no muscle breakdown ie no gym, no heavy exercise.

It doesnt mean, lay on the couch all day.
    Yeah, typically I tell people that their "daily routine" is NOT a work out.

By that I mean, it doesn't go above/beyond in terms of building muscle or burning more calories than usual. Sure, it may be physically intense, but if it's your standard day, then it isn't going to "build" you.

Feedback Score
    Well, the Carhartt commercials are actively trying to discourage exercise beyond physical paid labor, at least for guys with strenuous jobs. Have you seen them? Pretty effin lame if you ask me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FishTaco View Post
    Well, the Carhartt commercials are actively trying to discourage exercise beyond physical paid labor, at least for guys with strenuous jobs. Have you seen them? Pretty effin lame if you ask me.
    Fairly typical advertising aimed at stroking the ego of the target audience. I know plenty of blue collar workers who are fat and out of shape, and plenty of white collar workers who are strong and healthy. It comes down to a lot more than how much you move at work IMO, though sedentary jobs don't help your case.

What those commercials don't mention is that jobs like that are increasingly rare any more in the US thanks to automation and outsourcing...seriously, go tour a factory some time and it's primarily just a bunch of people sitting around pushing buttons. A buddy of mine is a lineman/"pole climber" for Dominion power and he does 95% of his work from a cherry picker bucket.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm going to agree with the stroking ego thing on carhart and blue collar guys. Been one my whole life. I've been fat and or of shape too.

Just because you work your tail off in a physical job means jack chit to level of fitness.

Feedback Score
    My "rest day" is light stretching maybe some yoga or a massage and REST. No PT nothing hard physically.

Recovery especially when you get old is as important as the PT itself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12