Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 FNH DMR 15 thoughts?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

2015 FNH DMR 15 thoughts?

This new one from FN has struck my interest. While not having experience or owning an AR from FN I do have a SCAR 17 that I am very pleased with. I am wondering if any of you with more FN experience have any thoughts on this rifle and it's features, and just as important the price tag that comes along with it of a msrp of $1900. Basically looking into it for a hunting set up with longer barrel and the 1:7 twist for heavier grain hunting ammunition. Worth looking into or pass and take a different route? Thanks in advance.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...&v=pC7ezA5PaaI

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/car...ries/fn15-dmr/
    Last edited by MBtech; 01-25-15 at 01:46.

Feedback Score
    For the price and a "DMR", I'd have expected a SS barrel, and...well...more.

I don't think I have that much into my MK12ish (Centurion Mk12 barrel, Vltor upper) that I assembled.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Street price looks like 1,500-1550. Not a bad deal considering it comes with almost $800 worth of quality aftermarket parts installed and an 18" CHF barrel. Especially if you don't have the tools or ability to assemble a rifle yourself.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I really don't see anything special about this and think its a tad overpriced. BCM and Rainier off the top of my head can be had with actual SS barrels for similar if not less money. I think if FN wants a crack at the 18/SPR market they need to adjust price and offer a similar barrel as other competitors within that price point.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Seems like an average offering in a segment that's getting crowded. On the plus side, it has a real FN roll mark rather than the big white laser mark they've been using.
    Last edited by Mirnyx; 01-25-15 at 08:54.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Im not going to say their price is crazy out of line.

I built a couple 20" guns with PSA 20" CHF chrome barrels, which appear to me to be basically the same as this barrel, just 20" vs. 18". I have around $550 total into each gun with a standard A2 stock. If I added the MI rail($200), lo-pro gas block($40), Magpul STR stock($70), the surefire comp($60), Magpul MBUS Pro($200) and either the exact Timney or a Giessele($200), I would have an identical gun for just under $1400. Add the 11.5% FET on a complete gun and you are around $1550.

Now none of that is counting the fact that FN pays probably 30-40% less for parts than my above retail prices, so my guess is its costing them around $1000-1100 to build this gun, then the 1900 price point starts to widen a bit. I think at 1500 this would be a great gun, at 1900, ill build one myself.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Im not going to say their price is crazy out of line.

I built a couple 20" guns with PSA 20" CHF chrome barrels, which appear to me to be basically the same as this barrel, just 20" vs. 18". I have around $550 total into each gun with a standard A2 stock. If I added the MI rail($200), lo-pro gas block($40), Magpul STR stock($70), the surefire comp($60), Magpul MBUS Pro($200) and either the exact Timney or a Giessele($200), I would have an identical gun for just under $1400. Add the 11.5% FET on a complete gun and you are around $1550.

Now none of that is counting the fact that FN pays probably 30-40% less for parts than my above retail prices, so my guess is its costing them around $1000-1100 to build this gun, then the 1900 price point starts to widen a bit. I think at 1500 this would be a great gun, at 1900, ill build one myself.
    I agree with a lot of that evaluation... that said it's a more crowded market segment when one starts looking at 16" SS units cobbled together in halves (BCM or Sionics complete lower, BCM KMR Recce Upper) can be put together and accessorized with a G2S/G2S-E and Magpul PRO sights for under that $1500 price point and basically be a superior weapon system (lighter, more precise, with slightly nicer parts), so it might require a slightly lower street price to really gain much market share. That said, FNH-USA probably has the capacity to make that happen.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    I agree with a lot of that evaluation... that said it's a more crowded market segment when one starts looking at 16" SS units cobbled together in halves (BCM or Sionics complete lower, BCM KMR Recce Upper) can be put together and accessorized with a G2S/G2S-E and Magpul PRO sights for under that $1500 price point and basically be a superior weapon system (lighter, more precise, with slightly nicer parts), so it might require a slightly lower street price to really gain much market share. That said, FNH-USA probably has the capacity to make that happen.
    I agree. I mean, hell, I have about $2000 into my 18" SPR with Giessele SSA-E, Giessele Mk4 rail, Vltor MUR, 18" CLE Krieger barrel, JP light weight BC and silent spring, and Syrac adjustable gas block and I would bet money that it will out shoot this FN gun all day long.

$1500 for this gun and they have a winner, $1900, to much other competition that is better.

I saw that a lot at SHOT this year. Several cool products, but they will never sell at the price point. Saw an AR designed and built around 22TCM, but the price was astronomical and will never sell.

Feedback Score
    I thought the DDv11 pro looked better. I would still rather build than buy either though.

Feedback Score
    The problem with selling/marketing a customized AR, is that you have to hope your customer wants the whole package that you are marketing.
    I look at this and think: I would do a different rail, I like the stock, maybe a different grip, and I don't know enough about the brake to make a decision.
    Good on them for thinking out side the plain jane carbine/rifle, but that same thinking can paint you into a corner with costs and lack of choice.
    -Colt 6920 w/Aimpoint PRO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast