Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 FNH DMR 15 thoughts?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    People will buy this because it has FN stamped on it. They will say FN makes lots of military weapons so this will be the bees knees. Never-mind the blatant discrepancies in their other rifles when compared to the actual contract rifles.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Those guns are all built to a price point. Just look at them.

These FN lowers look like $69 fly-by-night internet specials by the way they are engraved.
    Last edited by scottryan; 01-25-15 at 21:36.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Those guns are all built to a price point. Just look at them.

These FN lowers look like $69 fly-by-night internet specials by the way they are engraved.
    Well, that's how their DoD issue ones look too. Why ruin the 'authenticity?'
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    Well, that's how their DoD issue ones look too. Why ruin the 'authenticity?'

FN USGI lowers aren't engraved with a CNC engraving. They also don't say Caliber Multi on them.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So far with these replies, if not $1500 or under I'd be better off building my own it seems.
    Any other recommendations on a complete rifle with similar features? In $1500-$2000 ballpark?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MBtech View Post
    So far with these replies, if not $1500 or under I'd be better off building my own it seems.
    Any other recommendations on a complete rifle with similar features? In $1500-$2000 ballpark?
    Did you even look to see what it can be had for? None of the guys that said it isn't a $1,900 rifle did. Are you capable and equipped to build it yourself?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Did you even look to see what it can be had for? None of the guys that said it isn't a $1,900 rifle did. Are you capable and equipped to build it yourself?
    I've seen $1699, maybe I'm not looking in the right places, and yes I am capable of building one myself. Never have built one but I'm a 15 year master tech in auto industry, I'm sure I could, I am aware of specifications, proper tools, and procedures.
    Last edited by MBtech; 01-27-15 at 17:00.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    These rifles are another example of someone's liberties to kinda-sorta duplicate the .mil package -- and not very accurately.

Sure it'll go bang, but it doesn't come close to the limited runs of .mil weapons.

So yeah, it'll go bang -- but that's like saying a Prius is like a Maserati.

Older FN M16s had nowhere near the rollmarks of the M16A4, M4, or commercial FN15.

Feedback Score
    With current prices, I would just mate a pre-assembled BCM upper of your choice with a lower you assemble yourself with the stock you want. It will cost about the same or less street price, be better, and not require any special tools or skills to assemble.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-S...s410-kmr13.htm
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by strambo View Post
    With current prices, I would just mate a pre-assembled BCM upper of your choice with a lower you assemble yourself with the stock you want. It will cost about the same or less street price, be better, and not require any special tools or skills to assemble.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-S...s410-kmr13.htm
    ... and that fundamentally is the argument it seems we've all seemed to agreed on. Anybody with enough opposable thumbs and knowledge required to clean the weapon system can assemble a complete upper and a complete lower... and the BCM KMR-SS410 Uppers mated to any good lower receiver does exactly that for less money.

As far as the .mil issued lowers, the majority if the ones our unit had would absolutely fall into the cosmetic blemish bin even from no-name civilian sales companies. Thinks like forging marks that never cleaned up (entire seams along the front edge), tool marks in odd places, places inside the lowers that make no contact with FCG/BCG parts but have no anodizing, and the tell-tale forging edge seam on the top of the trigger well that never saw an end mill. That's the sort of stuff I'm talking about, so a kinda-lame half-assed attempt at machining a cheap forging (that was at least function) to me would be more of an idiosyncracy of an FN rifle if done intentionally, or at least if savings were passed on to the end buyer... but paying premium prices for those especially when the rest of the rifle appears to be built off of the parts-bin leftovers that other firms decided not to buy in volume for complete rifles really doesn't make sense in a market where other companies are so definitively doing it right.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast