Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IFAK for battle belt

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The DARK is well thought out and GTG. To aid you in its use, they have familiarization videos online that cover kit components. Hit google for other videos covering kit components from their actual manufacturers.

Also available: The NAEMT website publishes the current instructional materials and guidelines for tactical combat casualty care (TCCC) for viewing or downlaod. Those TCCC materials collectively cover most of the popular tourniquets, hemostatic gauze options, chest seals, and trauma dressings you'll find in active use.

Never before have we had so many options for GTG IFAKs assembled by credible folks. You can spend as much or as little as you want. Even at the lower price points, if you understand a thing or two about trauma, you can be quite useful.

At the other end of the price spectrum, Tactical Medical Solutions offers the Downed Officer Kit (DOK), and a battery of videos instructing component use. Additional options for carry pouches, gauze products, chest seals, NPAs, etc are available to add in as well. http://www.tacmedsolutions.com/produ...-operator-kit/

Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedDreams View Post
    As high and tight as possible.
    Current TCCC guidelines and many EMS curriculums place the tourniquet 2-3" above the wound. This is a change from the previous high-extremity, "go high or die" method previously advocated. This avoids affecting tissues and structure that still can utilize oxygenated blood flow. If there isn't sufficient tissue to compress the artery under the tourniquet, then continue to go up the extremity until there is.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A mild resurrection of this thread, but I just received my DARK Lite CE kit with additional SWAT-T that I purchased to keep either in my range bag or on my person (depending on situation).

Talk about classic stuff. Thanks for recommendations here, gang.

One nice touch - there was a quick thank you note in pen and signed by PopTart on the paper copy of the invoice / packing slip inside the box.

Very pleased. Will be recommending them to anyone who asks, and will be using again in the future if / when the need arises.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I've been thinking about getting an IFAK to keep in my range bag or on my battle belt. My original idea was to buy an HSG M3T and add the contents. For those recommending the Dark Star DARK, do you like the pouch it comes in, or do you like to buy the DARK refill and use someone else's pouch?
    Last edited by SteveL; 03-18-15 at 16:11.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I've been thinking about getting an IFAK to keep in my range bag or on my battle belt. My original idea was to buy an HSG M3T and add the contents. For those recommending the Dark Star DARK, do you like the pouch it comes in, or do you like to buy the DARK refill and use someone else's pouch?
    I've been interested in the answer to this question as well, but being that it's almost a month old now with no responses, I suppose I shouldn't hold my breath.

I like the contents of the DARK Lite, but I'm not crazy about the pouch. I went ahead and ordered an ITS EDC Trauma kit with their EDC Slimline Pouch because I like the pouches size specs, mounting configuration options, and it just looks to be of better quality. That said, the DARK pouches are listed as made by First Spear, and I've never been disappointed in any of their kit that I currently have, and the Eagle kit from the days when the same guys ran that shop.

Guess I'll just go with what I have coming, and pick up a spare of the DARK product down the road.

ETA: My application is not for a battle belt. I have a full IFAK on a battle belt that I really don't wear very often, and although it's in an ATS small med pouch, I think it's still too cumbersome for just a belt. I want a small kit, relative to my antiquated combat lifesaver skill set, for use in USCA 2 gun where I prefer a simple WT Instructor belt along with minimal amount of belt attached mag pouches. Most guys don't wear any sort of IFAK/Blowout kit, other than those in full battle rattle, which there are few. I'm of the mind that if I'm with people punching holes in stuff (especially with people I don't know), I'd like to have the capability of patching them as readily as possible should someone (or myself) make a mistake and punch a hole in me (or someone else).
    Last edited by straitR; 04-13-15 at 14:33.

Feedback Score
    Honestly, just built my own. I went with an HSGI blowout kit for the main body and a CAT tourniquet pouch mounted on the side then added the supplies I wanted. My list includes the CAT tourniquet (yeah, I know but I got a bunch of them for free at my last job) a shears, Israeli bandage, Quick-clot combat gauze, HALO chest seal, nasopharyngel, hexystat sanitizer, 2 pair gloves, a marker and causality card. Yeah, it's a tight squeeze getting all that stuff in there and that's what I love about the HSGI blowout kit pouch is the red rip-chord. Pull the D-ring and it will puke everything out in one shot. I passed on the decompression needle as I am not trained or certified on it's use and the only other thing I am lacking that the DARK kit has is the mylar blanket. Of course this isn't vacuum sealed but then again, I was able to build my blowout kit with many of the same items and do it at a much lower cost than a ready-made kit.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    CLEER medical make a nice compact IFAK perfect for a belt and it has a very small footprint.

S/F

"Ruck you Pat rogers, we no need push/purr!!!"

"Nazi lube for a Nazi gun" - LAV

Feedback Score
    Components mounted inside a Condor single M4 mag pouch:

Israeli Bandage, 4inch.
    CAT Gen 7 tourniquet in orange
    Combat Gauze, good until 2020
    Hyfin Compact Vented chest seal, pair, good until 2021 because an entry wound sometimes creates an exit wound

The three linked items I got from North American Rescue as getting the real thing, and new stock for the longest expiration date, was important.
    The Izzy I had for a while and it's gone from range bag to range bag. . I think I had gotten it on Amazon.

Then:

One pair nitrile gloves
    One small roll of duct tape
    Trauma shears. One beauty of the Condor pouch is that the overflap is velcroed and removable. This also means that something can be slipped into that channel securely.
    Loop velcro, sew on. This started life as a 4in wide piece. I simply cut along the length to get close to the width of the mag pouch.
    Self adhesive velcro. Mainly the hook side.
    Orange gaffer tape
    Orange paracord. I braided it using the wall knot pattern (HERE) as the moment you pull on it the knots separate a bit creating gaps that improve your grip.

Once I'm totally happy with the configuration I may vacuum bag the velcro wrap and secure the pull tab to that compressed package. I have a FoodSaver thing, they're awesome.

Belt IFAK trauma kit by Dan Passaro, on Flickr

(the tourniquet would have already come out actually since it would be used first)

Last edited by danpass; 05-06-16 at 00:42.
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by danpass View Post
    Components mounted inside a Condor single M4 mag pouch:
    That's a great little kit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pog926 View Post
    That's a great little kit.
    I agree - nice execution in a single M4 mag pouch, both the form factor of the pouch and the total size to function.

As an owner of a FoodSaver vacuum sealer, I roll my own flat pack FAKs as needed for certain uses, travel kits, supplemental trauma kits in my car, etc. That said, I am not sold on vacuum packing in my primary personal first aid kit.... I doubt my ability to adequately tear/otherwise access vacuum packed supplies if compromised and if I do, my gross motor skills might scatter them across three counties in the process.

Relative to danpass's concept, any best practices on vacuum packing and adding in decent pull tabs?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    I agree - nice execution in a single M4 mag pouch, both the form factor of the pouch and the total size to function.

As an owner of a FoodSaver vacuum sealer, I roll my own flat pack FAKs as needed for certain uses, travel kits, supplemental trauma kits in my car, etc. That said, I am not sold on vacuum packing in my primary personal first aid kit.... I doubt my ability to adequately tear/otherwise access vacuum packed supplies if compromised and if I do, my gross motor skills might scatter them across three counties in the process.

Relative to danpass's concept, any best practices on vacuum packing and adding in decent pull tabs?
    Very good point. All this stuff is hard to open with bloody hands. My team in Afghanistan pre-opened everything in our IFAK. Maybe you could pre-open everything, then vacuum pack, and use the shears to open the vacuum pack?
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast