Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ar pistol issue

Feedback Score
    Yeah I was gonna recommend checking the gas key on your bolt carrier

-BTO-
    -BTO-

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've looked at the gas key and that's not the problem. I took the rifle apart yesterday and looked it over. I have the gas tube installed correctly, there is no carbon where the tube enters the gas block to indicate that it's leaking. I checked the alignment of the gas block and tweaked it just a bit. I also opened up the port just the tiniest bit.

I tried lubricating the bcg when I was test firing but it's possible I didn't use enough.

So I'm going shooting again this weekend and I'll be trying the different buffers and gratuitous amounts of lube.

I also think it could use a feed ramp polish too but that's not as much of a priority at the moment

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rfairman View Post

I'm running a 10.5 barrel with pistol length gas system and a standard carbine buffer and spring. I'm thinking the problem is with the buffer.

Any help would be great thank you
    Pistol length gas?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yes it's a pistol length gas system

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Before you go drilling out the gas port, you need to be sure that's the problem. Does the bolt lock open on an empty magazine?

I'm thinking that it's overgassed or possibly that you have a chamber issue. Try some heavier buffers first. H2 OR H3. Pistol gas is a bit short for a 10.5.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It does hold the bolt open on an empty mag

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rfairman View Post
    It does hold the bolt open on an empty mag
    Then you don't need to enlarge the gas port.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    it is most likely not getting enough gas. open it up 1/64" at a time until it cycles properly w carbine or h buffer. or buy a barrel from a reputable manufacturer that tests there barrels gas systems before they sell them. bcm, noveske etc
    so far to the left i must be right.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I rechecked the gas block alignment and opened the port up to a 0.078. And I'm going to try my T2 buffer when I shoot it this weekend so we will see what happens.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    So news from shooting yesterday and thursday.

Thursday went better than last Saturday I was able to get the gun to cycle. I then ran into another problem where now that it cycles occasionally when I pull the trigger all I get is a click, I check the round and sure enough the firing pin hit it but didn't go off. Most of the time if I pulled the charging handle back just enough to recock the trigger the round would fire the second time. Now I knew it couldn't be my trigger because we'll it's a $300 geissele supper tricon with only 6 rounds on it from I prior build. So I bought some different ammo and went back out yesterday and that seemed to solve the problem.

So long story short the gun runs great.

Thank you every one for all of your suggestions and help!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast