Thread: Question about headspace

Feedback Score

Question about headspace

Hey everybody. New member here. 56 years old 3 years in the Army spent at Ft. Campbell. I'm building my first upper, Aero Precision with a Ballistic Advantage 16" Hanson barrel. I feel pretty confident in most aspects of putting together an upper but I'm concerned about proper headspacing. How often do you guys find yourselves tinkering with it after installing the barrel? Or do most barrel installs go smoothly? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Never. Headspace isn't adjustable on an AR. Just put it together and shoot it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I agree. Ive built 3 uppers (waiting on a barrel for the fourth build)

I use a good barrel, receiver, and a good BCG. Put them together and shoot them. I have never had an issue.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Headspace will gradually increase as the back of the bold lugs pound away at the inside of the barrel extension. But in most cases, when the barrel extension is in spec, the throat of the barrel will be toast before the headspace falls out of spec.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I check headspace on every firearm I assemble. I have never had an AR built with NEW parts that did not have the correct headspace.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've never had an AR that has an old bolt and high round count barrel fail headspace. I'll only pull out the gauge on really well worn uppers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've never had an AR that has an old bolt and high round count barrel fail headspace. I'll only pull out the gauge on really well worn uppers.
    I have only had one rifle swallow the field gauge. I shot extremely hot 80g reloads I loaded up for 1,000 yards, so it was completely my fault.

Usually accuracy drops way off and the barrel is replaced before headspace becomes an issue.
    Last edited by T2C; 01-26-15 at 16:58.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably pick up a set of gauges sometime just so I'll have them around.