Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HK MR556 opinions? Or just get the KAC SR15 Mod 2? SBRs...

Feedback Score

HK MR556 opinions? Or just get the KAC SR15 Mod 2? SBRs...

Got close to $3000 finally saved up for an AR15 rifle after selling my last one for a Tavor. Have a trust set up so my AR15 will definitely be a SBR of some type with a suppressor in the future. But I'm completely split on which rifle to get and I'm looking for sage advice/opinions.

The 16" HK MR556 is deemed a pig by many weighing in at 8.6 pounds while the 11.5" SR15 is roughly 6.4 pounds.
    But wait! Looked up a popular idea floated around HKPro about having the barrel cut down to 10.4" and reprofiled to the HK416 style with the gas block fixed for a 1.3 pound weight reduction which brings the HK down to 7.5 pounds or roughly a pound heavier than the SR15. Granted... this does cost about $350 to get it done by one of their HK gun smiths who's done a bunch of these. In my stupid OCD mind, the price of these two ends up being about equal since I'd have to get a more expensive KAC suppressor eventually if I were to get the SR15. Both rifles in stock configurations is gonna cost me about $2500ish.

Pros for the KAC is I won't have to modify it in any way and it's ready to go with about a pound less on her bones. Cons is I'd have to get the pricey KAC suppressor since I'm OCD like that.

Pros for HK is the piston system for 99% suppressed usage and I'd probably be going with a cheaper suppressor like the AAC M4-2K. Cons is having to get it sent to a gun smith for a month and having to engrave it.

But the main issue is I've never even shot them before so I have no idea how they feel in hand or how they recoil or just the general quality. Seems tons of people are happy with KAC so my brain says that the KAC is the smarter/easier choice. This will probably be my sole AR15 and it's quite a pricey setup for me. I think it'll be my only AR for quite a while so I'm abnormally hesitant about this gun purchase. Haven't seen any in the gun stores or ranges where I live so it's all online research and youtube videos so far. Would really appreciate your honest opinions/advice. Thanks for even reading all this fellas.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    KAC 14.5 Carbine...people are proud of them since they discontinued them. Or wait and get a Mod 2 14.5. I just prefer the dimpled barrels.

Feedback Score
    I vote KAC with optic

Feedback Score
    Get the KAC, I have a few . The new Mod 2 14.5" will not come with dimpled barrel tho. I do have a few Colt factory SBR too and they are kinda nice and somewhat on the cheaper side.

Feedback Score
    I'm biased towards the KAC because I own one, but I considered the MR556 initially. For my needs the HK is heavy, really expensive and doesn't do a whole lot that the KAC won't. It may have a slight advantage when it comes to a suppressor, but that's about it from my perspective. Weight really adds up when you take a rifle class. If the HK is 8.6lbs dry, it'll be more when you add an optic, suppressor, loaded mag, light, foregrip, etc.

As far as "I'll have to get a KAC suppressor", well it's your money, but I don't see the point of spending money to play dress up with my gun. If you can get a can that's cheaper, lighter and works as well or better than a KAC, I see no reason to pay for having a KAC logo on my suppressor. Having a "complete set" of branded accessories just places a mental block in the way of considering better gear that might help you be a better shooter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Either is a good rifle. Pretty much comes down to piston vs. DI and whether or not you have a preference.

The HK has some proprietary parts but is accurate as hell and the build quality is astounding. It is a bit heavy, but that heavy barrel is what makes it so accurate.

I don't have experience with the KAC or I would contrast the two....

If you want an SBR, there are plenty of good SBR options on the market. I would not chop a $3000 rifle down to SBR length. -That is just me.

***ETA: Please don't start the tired old Piston vs. DI debate.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 01-26-15 at 16:53.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Personally, I wouldn't even consider the HK. The KAC SR15, on the other hand, would be very high on my list. If the money isn't an issue, pull the trigger on the KAC and be glad you have one of the best AR platform rifles money can buy.

Feedback Score
    I could be considered an HK fanboy, so my suggestion is obvious .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Woah, seems you guys are strongly in favor of the KAC over the HK. Rather fascinating actually. I figured it'd be closer to 50/50, but there seems to be only one vote in favor of the HK.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson184 View Post
    Woah, seems you guys are strongly in favor of the KAC over the HK. Rather fascinating actually. I figured it'd be closer to 50/50, but there seems to be only one vote in favor of the HK.
    (2) as I voted with my wallet a while back, I just don't support hacking a nice rifle!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast