Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any reason not to use a ELW bbl. for suppressor host?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Yes and no, the barrel will have less mass so it theoretically should cool faster than the GI profile but you will have less surface area to shed heat. Given the profile of the ELW I would say yes, but do take into account it will heat faster as well. Another thing to take into account with the GI profile is that the thickest part of the barrel is forward of the hand guard, it is technically a light weight profile under the hand guards. It is literally backwards of what it should be and actually exacerbates barrel point of impact as it heats.

ETA: Just saw markm's post and I have to agree, if your buddies goal is to do mag dumps he would be better suited with a SOCOM profile barrel. Otherwise the ELW would be a great option.
    Last edited by BH321; 01-26-15 at 13:04.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Noveske N4 Light is an awesome profile for a Do-it-all Chrome Lined Barrel... suppressor host or not. SOCOM would also be worth considering.

Feedback Score
    Wouldn't any barrel have this issue??

I been considering a ELW or a Stainless steel barrel.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    Wouldn't any barrel have this issue??

I been considering a ELW or a Stainless steel barrel.
    The More Rigid, the Less Likely to have POI Shift w/ Can attached... assumely all other variables are squared away (concentric threads, proper mounting etc.)

Feedback Score
    Because they weight savings aren't going to be as noticeable, and it's going to get very hot. Sbr thought, not so much 14.5 vs 11.5 issue

Quote Originally Posted by punkey71 View Post
    Intersting.

I would think (probably incorrectly) that the longer barrel would be more susceptible to POI shift as opposed to the shorter.

Can you explain your reasoning for being more cautious with a 11.5 compared to a 14.5?

Thanks
    Harold

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My ELW groups move down about 3"-4" at 100 yards once the barrel gets noticeably hot.

On/off shift isn't bad with a Surefire.

For comparison, my SS410 shifts about 2".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Off topic, but based on how well you know your co worker, wouldn't be a bad idea to have him sign a liability release

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12