Thread: Question about DD Lite/M4 handguards

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Question about DD Lite/M4 handguards

I have an upper with a Daniel Defense 12" Lite II handguard, with a 14.5" barrel with flash hider permanently attached. Can it be disassembled without removing/destroying the FH? I'd like to switch to a Lite III handguard.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    I have an upper with a Daniel Defense 12" Lite II handguard, with a 14.5" barrel with flash hider permanently attached. Can it be disassembled without removing/destroying the FH? I'd like to switch to a Lite III handguard.
    No, the Lite II and Lite III use different bolt up plates, and thus, the flash hider, as well as gas block, and barrel nut would need to be removed.
    - Firearms Instructor - M16/M4/AR15 Certified Armorer - Certified Glock Armorer -

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    So, the barrel nut won't fit past the FH?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    So, the barrel nut won't fit past the FH?
    The barrel nut will probably fit over the flash hider, depending on which one you have installed. The gas block won't, though.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    The barrel nut will probably fit over the flash hider, depending on which one you have installed. The gas block won't, though.
    I see, thanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I believe they use the same barrel nut so you should be able to remove the rail over the gas block and flash suppressor, remove the barrel nut (not all the way off the barrel), take the barrel out of the upper, take off the old bolt up plate, and then reverse the process.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Lite Rail II and Lite Rail III (DDM4 Rail) Use the same barrel nut. You should be able to remove the bolts from the Lite Rail II and slide it over your barrel. With the rail system removed you can then loosen your barrel nut and remove your entire barrel assembly from your upper. With you barrel assy removed you can swap out the bolt up plate, reinsert your barrel into your upper, torque the barrel nut, and install the Lite Rail III.
    Joe Marler
    Law Enforcement Sales Manager

jmarler@danieldefense.com
    www.danieldefense.com