Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help With Die Choice

Feedback Score
    Reasons I like Lee 4 die carbide sets for pistol:

1. Affordable, and always comes with the shell holder so I don't have to fork out another $10-12 extra.

2. The powder measure is simple and reliable, so that powder through die lets me use it.

3. Sizes down to the base pretty well, and with the crimp die I use the Bulge Buster to completely eliminate Glock bulge, allowing me to freely use .40 and .45 brass from range pickup without having to discard ones shot from certain guns that bulge it.

4. The crimp die is simple and VERY effective. All my ammo chambers smoothly from using it.

5. Dies have a decent heft to them, seeming to me to be very durable, unlike RCBS which feel a little to light for my liking.

About the only thing I would change about Lee dies is to put Hornady's locking rings on them, which I do myself.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    3. Sizes down to the base pretty well, and with the crimp die I use the Bulge Buster to completely eliminate Glock bulge, allowing me to freely use .40 and .45 brass from range pickup without having to discard ones shot from certain guns that bulge it.
    Are you referring to the Coke bottle type bulge?

Feedback Score
    personally I like Forster

but I only reload for my precision rifles

lots of information out there about different dies accurate shooter, long range hunting, shooters forum etc.... everyone has an opinion.

I don't know that anyone makes a bad set of dies and if you are just reloading for standard plinking ammo it really doesn't matter

Learning all the little nuances of reloading will probably make more difference than the dies

that said just for the hell of it I am going the Wilson hand dies and Arbor Press route just for something different

Women buy jewelry Men by guns and fishing tackle

Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to help me out. After reading all of the suggestions, and reading a lot of other articles, I am now looking at the Redding two die set and adding the carbide button, as before, but now instead of RCBS, I am really looking at the Dillon three die set. The sizing die has a carbide expander ball, also. I like having the crimp separate from the seater, I think it would help with setup of each die. Now to decide and get going........ Leaning toward Dillon. Any reason to not go that way and stay with Redding?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12