Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer hunting with .223/5.56

Feedback Score

Deer hunting with .223/5.56

Do any of you guys deer hunt with your ARs? I have seen pictures of deer taken with .223 shot out of an AR but I seem kinda skeptical about it. I have always used a bolt action .270, which has served me well, but I was just wondering which .223/ 5.56 loads work best on deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nosler partition 60gr or Barnes TSX

Federal Power Shok 64 gr. SP
    Federal Vital Shok 60 gr. Partition or Barnes 55 gr. TSX
    Federal Fusion 62 gr.
    Winchester PP
    Barnes Vi-Tor TSX factory ammo

Feedback Score
    I live in New Mexico so the deer we have out here are pretty big.... Especially some of the mule deer I have seen when out hunting. How well would these loads do on a hog?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You may want to check you state regulations to see if it's legal to hunt deer with 223/5.56 where you live. It is not here in Virginia, and I'm sure we're not the only state with that regulation.

Feedback Score
    Nope. That is what the 270 or 30-06 are for.

My 223 and 22-250 are for varmints and the bolt guns get the bigger stuff.

If you already own a rifle in 308, 0-06, 270 or other "deer calibers" why chance it?

Our deer aren't even that big....and I am not taking a chance with a 223....sorry.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It can be done. There are a lot of factors involved. A heavy (60+ gr) "hunting" bullet is preferred. Shot placement is key, if you hit the heart and lungs it'll drop. Distance is also key, you'll lose energy the longer the shot.

I prefer my 450bm, 308, or 300AAC.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a1madrid View Post
    I live in New Mexico so the deer we have out here are pretty big.... Especially some of the mule deer I have seen when out hunting. How well would these loads do on a hog?

Will do just fine on a hog, and I agree with what others have stated be sure to check your local laws on caliber and magazine capacity also. Shot placement shot placement shot placement..

Feedback Score
    We have some big bodied deer here in Maine as well, and I come from a long family tradition of shooting 30-06 for deer/moose almost exclusively. With that said, I would not hesitate to use .223 but using the right ammo and waiting for the right shot is crucial. Broadside or quartering away is ideal, but any straight on bone penetration is going to drastically detract from killing power. Quartering to and trying to pass one through the shoulder is not ideal. Neither is a pelvic or hip hit, obviously. I only mention the pelvis/hip because that very scenario happened this year. The Game Wardens carry AR's in their vehicles and will dispatch road hit and nuisance animals with them. This year a close friend was able to witness, inspect, and eat some Game warden killed nuisance deer and the effectiveness was adequate. The first deer took one broadside and went down very quick. The second deer wasn't so easy as it was on the move. The first round hit the hip, blew apart, but did take the deer to the ground where it was quickly dispatched. I wish I knew what ammo he was shooting, but I would guess it was probably something similar to xm193. Not ideal.

Another interesting note is if you have watched the show Yukon Men, they shoot .223 a ton, and often for caribou.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Look what I found here on M4Carbine.net!

https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?202-Hunting

That is so cool having a Sub-forum that deals with Hunting. What will the Staff come up with next?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ^^^^ (JS-Maine) This, a properly patient shot placed in heart/lungs and game over, just don't get cocky on distance and use the right bullet.
    Last edited by MBtech; 01-27-15 at 12:04.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast