Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer hunting with .223/5.56

Feedback Score
    Aim small miss small

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've had great results with prvi partisan 75gr match and mk262 black hills. Shot placement is the key to hunting with most any caliber rifle.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I know people who let their young kids use 223 for whitetail. Just use the correct ammo.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I tried it last year for whitetail. Used the Barnes 70gr TSX. Had an easy 80 yard shot, got a good hit on the deer and subsequently lost it. It ran into thick brush about 15 yards from where I hit it and it didn't leave a big enough blood trail to track it through those conditions. I decided to go back to my .308 which has consistently dropped them in their tracks or kept them within 40 yards of the shot.

I'm sure the .556 would work better if the terrain was more open but I learned my lesson on that one.
    Men are not here to gain worldly comfort, they are here to strike a blow against evil and leave a mark on their world. ~Dennis Rainey

Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter. ~ Francis Chan

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You probably missed. Larger bullets, depending on how constructed, is more forgiving.

A single anecdotal event really doesn't say much. If you're confident with a .308, that's what you should use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    You probably missed. Larger bullets, depending on how constructed, is more forgiving.

A single anecdotal event really doesn't say much. If you're confident with a .308, that's what you should use.

Well, That was my experience, YMMV.

I shoot sub moa with that rifle (bcm ss410), it was 80 yards away and I found some blood with bubbles in it and a clump of goo that came out with it. Given, it had been raining and was sprinkling at the time so the trail was harder to find, which again goes back to the fact it didn't leave a large enough blood trail or drop fast enough for the terrain.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it was a good hit but thanks for that theory.

Will it kill them? Sure.

Is it as effective as a larger bullet? No.
    Men are not here to gain worldly comfort, they are here to strike a blow against evil and leave a mark on their world. ~Dennis Rainey

Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter. ~ Francis Chan

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You can disagree all you want, but a single instance of anecdotal evidence without knowing exact placement doesn't mean it's inadequate. For Pete's sake, I've watched .300 Win Mag shooters have the same experience you describe.

Feedback Score
    You missed. Accept it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Haha, wow did I accidentally get redirected to arfcom? Your responses to my post have added absolutely 0 to this thread other than trolling for an argument and I now feel dumber for having been sucked into it.

Pretty sure that the op asked for experiences on this. I provided mine and my personal decision after that experience. Take it for what it's worth and don't come on here telling me I missed. Obviously this round is so deadly the only conceivable conclusion must be that I missed. To the contrary, you do know what bubbles in blood means right?

No, you can't make a conclusion based on one data point. Otherwise we'd be praising how great DPMS is after a single range trip. If you read my post I said yes it works but other rounds are more effective. Are you disagreeing with that?

No one came here to piss in your Cheerios. I'm just saying that I tried them and prefer bacon and eggs.

That is all. OP, sorry for your thread getting derailed.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It means you missed

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast