Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer hunting with .223/5.56

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    He fell over on the first shot but you hit him again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Must have been a Chicago deer.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    He fell over on the first shot but you hit him again?

Yes. Fell over != DRT.
    People start out wanting to do shooting as a hobby and it ends up their hobby is actually buying and operating expensive tools. Doesn't make sense when you think about it.

Feedback Score
    Taken at 70 yards with Federal Fusion 62 gr MSR2015 deer 003 resized.jpg. More picture in the hunting picture section.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Shot a fairly decent doe today in my field. She was ranged at 192 meters. Ran 20 yards and she gave it up.

13.7" Noveske Infidel with perm M249F flash hider, using 62 grain Fusion

Vortex Razor 1-6
    Geissele SD-E

Entrance before skinning

Entrance after:

Exit:

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
    Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing. George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a1madrid View Post
    I live in New Mexico so the deer we have out here are pretty big.... Especially some of the mule deer I have seen when out hunting. How well would these loads do on a hog?

In my experience quite well as long as one exercises a degree of shot discipline. I've done a lot of hog removal in both Texas and Calif utilising AR platforms in .223 and the performance has always been adequate , but then I also stay at 200 yards and under when using .223/556 on hogs and use a properly constructed slug for the purpose.

Deer? With proper placement it should work adequately ( again given the proper loadings) for some deer , larger Muleys and big whitetails...I dunno.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freethought View Post
    In my experience quite well as long as one exercises a degree of shot discipline. I've done a lot of hog removal in both Texas and Calif utilising AR platforms in .223 and the performance has always been adequate , but then I also stay at 200 yards and under when using .223/556 on hogs and use a properly constructed slug for the purpose.
    What did you use from what barrel length? I'm hoping to do some hog hunting in the near future with my AR.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    This same debate always comes up along with the 9mm AR variants. (Also heard from plenty of poachers taking deer with .22lr) Either can do the job with proper ammo choice and shot placement. Some people have had excellent experience in using either, other no so much. What it comes down to is weather or not your choice is ethical. I live in MI and I'm not sure about anyone else, I know that with a proper shot and ideal conditions that I can place a .223 or 9mm perfectly in the heart/lungs and provide a humane kill. But ideal conditions are not always guaranteed here. Ultimately it is your choice for what caliber you choose to use (provided it is legal in your state) but myself IMHO I prefer to use something that removes all question for a quick humane kill.

Feedback Score
    I have been using 223 Rem for 20 years on whitetail. I like 55 grain barns or GMX but soft tips where the norm for years. If your shooting a 16" or shorter barrel I would avoid the 70-75gr bullets not sure you can push them fast enough for reliable exspantion.

Feedback Score
    I've taken 2 deer with my 11.5" AR pistol shooting a 70gr Barnes TSX. Both were taken with neck shots and no bullet was recovered. I will try to chronograph this load up and see how fast I'm pushing the 70gr TSX. However according to these guys, the 70gr Barnes works just fine with SBRs

" The expansion threshold for this bullet is approximately 1800 fps. Even fired from very short 10.5" barreled carbines, this expansion velocity threshold is maintained out past 200 yds."

http://store.chencustom.com/223_SOLI...r_TSX_s/92.htm

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Pheasant View Post
    I've taken 2 deer with my 11.5" AR pistol shooting a 70gr Barnes TSX. Both were taken with neck shots and no bullet was recovered. I will try to chronograph this load up and see how fast I'm pushing the 70gr TSX. However according to these guys, the 70gr Barnes works just fine with SBRs

" The expansion threshold for this bullet is approximately 1800 fps. Even fired from very short 10.5" barreled carbines, this expansion velocity threshold is maintained out past 200 yds."

http://store.chencustom.com/223_SOLI...r_TSX_s/92.htm

I chrono's ASYM and SSA 70 TSX loads from my 11.5" BCM a year ago.

From memory, they left the muzzle in the 2450 range.

Chrono'd at 200 around 1950.

Should expand out past 250 from an 11.5.

That load/gun is my deer rig as well.

Farthest shot last year was about 165 yds. Double lung shot pass through that ran 20 yards and collapsed.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast