Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer hunting with .223/5.56

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    Look what I found here on M4Carbine.net!

https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?202-Hunting

That is so cool having a Sub-forum that deals with Hunting. What will the Staff come up with next?
    I was waiting on one of those, go hallway patrol

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipper78 View Post
    You may want to check you state regulations to see if it's legal to hunt deer with 223/5.56 where you live. It is not here in Virginia, and I'm sure we're not the only state with that regulation.
    Yeah, I hate that I can't use one of my M4 rifles to take a deer here in VA. But I can use my Glock 19. Stupid.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I've killed several 200lb deer with 5.56. The key is to use a good bullet like the Federal Fusion or Barnes TSX, and keep your shots within 150 yards. Shot placement is key.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I've had great success with 70gr TSX from SSA and ASYM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    barnes 70 grain tsx and good shot placement and you will not be disappointed. When I got bit by the ar bug years ago I sold all my traditional deer rifles and have never looked back.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R.P. View Post
    barnes 70 grain tsx and good shot placement and you will not be disappointed. When I got bit by the ar bug years ago I sold all my traditional deer rifles and have never looked back.
    Great thread about that https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...SX-Performance Awesome hunting round.
    Last edited by MBtech; 01-27-15 at 12:44.

Feedback Score
    I used my 16" Colt 6920 with a 62 gr Federal Fusion round on a N. Idaho doe this last season. 40 yard shot. It worked. Lung shot, through and through. She ran for 30-40 yards and dropped.
    -Colt 6920 w/Aimpoint PRO

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I went hunting at my uncle ranch in Oklahoma a few years back and absolutely destroyed a buck with my 7mm Mag. Way more than was needed. My uncle's friend had taken his girlfriend hunting that year for the first time and she dropped a big buck with a 223. My uncle and his friend, both good ole country boys, were impressed with the damage done by the 223. Next time I go Ill be using one of my ARs and ill post up some pictures.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    I would guess that other than the AR being lightweight and handy this is exactly why the guys on Yukon Men use them. They are sustenance hunters, so the least amount of damage they can do to the meat is the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I went hunting at my uncle ranch in Oklahoma a few years back and absolutely destroyed a buck with my 7mm Mag. Way more than was needed.

Feedback Score
    I know it can be done...hell the deer in NC and some other states are the size of large dogs anyways. However, whitetail deer in MI can be pretty big and I have a concern about using such a small caliber for "medium sized game."

My dad asked me to build him a retro AR so that he could take it deer hunting and I'm having a hard time wanting to do it. He's not the best shot in the first place. He NEEDED the M16 when he was in...lol.

To each their own but when I go hunting I grab my 300 WSM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast