Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: recomended bolt gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

recomended bolt gun.

Please recommend a off the shelf bolt action rifle i wana build the wife a deer gun. No remingtons please i have 2 or 3 ive never had problems with but there 40 years old, my wifes parents have a 700 thats gone off twice with no one touching it.
    Iam thinking of Winchester but never owned a high power rifle by them. Have a .22 thats been around 50 years and still going. Any ideas? Whats good now without spending 500 bucks something about 350 or so. Maybe in .308.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Savage Lady. A lot of gun for the money.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    +1 on Savage

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/m...70953/redirect

For a $350 308 you are asking for Savage will be tough to beat in my opinion.
    Last edited by MBtech; 01-28-15 at 08:28.

Feedback Score
    People avoid the older 700 Remmys because of the media hit piece done on them years ago.

Truth is....the issue is VERY easy to fix and can be done by anyone on the kitchen counter. Swap the trigger/safety unit for one of the dozens on the market and you're as safe as any other rifle.

I say this because this time of year...right after hunting season...I always see some really nice, lightly used M700 BDLs in our local stores. They can usually be had for the price of the basic Savage Axis and with the trigger swap are a much nicer rifle.

However, yeah...if you must avoid them..I'd go with one of the Savage combos. They are nice guns for the money - especially the ones that come with the Nikon scopes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was looking at the savages today..at my local academy..i own a couple of remingtons as stated,i told her parents to order a timney and i would drop it in for them.. One time her mom came in from hunting to grab a bite to eat and put hers on the bed.she was going right back out to her blind,and didnt unload.(stupid to me.) and it went off with no one in the room and the safety on.

What model savage do you guys like?? Ill go check them out..thanks..they had some for less than 300.
    Last edited by texasgunhand; 01-28-15 at 18:37.

Feedback Score
    My brother bought one of those Savage/Nikon combos from Academy for my nephew. It was in 243 Winny.

The thing shot very well for what he paid for it. I helped him zero it in and was amazed at what you could buy ready to shoot for well under 500 bucks these days.

I think it was a Model 16 or 116. Academy usually has these in stock with either Nikon or Weaver scopes and in 243, 270, 308 and 30-06.

A lot of gun for the money. I thought about picking one up in 223 to leave in the truck for a knockabout rifle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You might check out the Ruger American, Marlin X7, or Stevens in that price range.

I've only shot the Savage Axis, was chambered in 308 and would have no complaints as a basic off the shelf deer gun, a decent scope and you're ready to hunt. Options are fairly limited for $350 or less.

Good luck to you and your wife, keep us posted.
    Last edited by MBtech; 01-29-15 at 12:46.

Feedback Score
    A nice Tikka T 3 Lite would be a top choice. They have a 1 MOA guarantee. I've owned and own a bunch of the top brands and I've never seen an out of the box rifle that is as accurate and smooth and easy to load for as today's Tikkas.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd probably recommend saving up a couple hundred more for a remington 700. I think in the long run you'd be happier with it. I wouldn't worry about it going off on you unexpectedly. As far as I know that problem was due to a crappy trigger that people would adjust too light and I'm pretty sure they fixed that problem.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Savage axis XP isn't a bad rifle. The stock is odd but boyds makes laminate ones and Timney even makes a trigger. But off te shelf, it's not a bad product. My axis in .308 with the factory "bushnell" shot just as tight of a group at 100yd as my friends that was purchased same day but was the trophy hunter xp in .308. I used federal 149gr 7.62, he used Remington core lokt 150. Swapped shooters, same results. Just traded mine for a lever gun though

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast