Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: recomended bolt gun.

Feedback Score
    I'd consider the Browning X-Bolt in 243. With the right big game bullet it will be just fine. I saw some TX deer the other week, not exactly 230 lb monsters. Of course the 308 and 7mm-08 are great too. I think you may be borrowing that X-Bolt when your wife isn't using it.

The cheapest Savage will work too.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Savage Lady Hunter in .243 or 6.5 Creedmoor

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    A nice Tikka T 3 Lite would be a top choice. They have a 1 MOA guarantee. I've owned and own a bunch of the top brands and I've never seen an out of the box rifle that is as accurate and smooth and easy to load for as today's Tikkas.
    I will second this ! I own 5 of them and highly recommend them to everyone. Good luck with your choice.

Feedback Score
    If you want something cheap, functional and good enough...Savage.
    If you want a nicer rifle, a little more accurate and more expensive... Browning or Tikka.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman View Post
    If you want something cheap, functional and good enough...Savage.
    If you want a nicer rifle, a little more accurate and more expensive... Browning or Tikka.
    ^^^ This exactly, I just bought my son a Tikka T3 Lite Compact for his birthday. Have not shot it yet he'll get it on the 2nd of May. You are looking for a rifle for your wife correct? Don't know what size frame she is but this rifle is perfect for a smaller framed shooter and has a spacer to go with the stock. Picked this one up for under $600 in .243

http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3/t3-compact

Or as mentioned for the cheaper end Savage.
    Work so hard that one day your signature will be called an autograph.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by texasgunhand View Post
    Please recommend a off the shelf bolt action rifle
    Take a peek at the weatherby vanguard I am reading good things about the current line. It is based on the Howa 1500, but to weatherby specs as I understand.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I own three Savage rifles. They're all .22's. They offer a great value for the gun.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RegisteredTM View Post
    I'd probably recommend saving up a couple hundred more for a remington 700. I think in the long run you'd be happier with it. I wouldn't worry about it going off on you unexpectedly. As far as I know that problem was due to a crappy trigger that people would adjust too light and I'm pretty sure they fixed that problem.
    NO,thats not true . my wifes family has one that goes off by itself , twice.. Killed a P/U and a bedroom wall so far.
    I have a 600 thats never done it in 50 years and they had a recall on them a long time ago. None of my remington rifles have ever done it. I noticed at academy the other day that theres a recall on the new triggers that were supposed to fix the problem. Theres been in house papers from remington stating theve known about the problem for a long time. All the info is out there including a 1 hr special done by msnbc or one of those news channels. Iam not knocking remington i own a couple that have been in my family for longer than i have been alive. But there are some out there that are bone stock and will fire with the safety on all by its self or when the safety is switch on or off. Btw the one they own has a non adjustable trigger like most 700s.

Just posting this becouse i know it to be true. When you see it happen that takes the doubt outa my mind.
    Last edited by texasgunhand; 05-13-15 at 23:13.

Feedback Score
    Savage is probably the best gun for the money. I had a 10FP and it was a great shooter.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post

Truth is....the issue is VERY easy to fix and can be done by anyone on the kitchen counter. Swap the trigger/safety unit for one of the dozens on the market and you're as safe as any other rifle.
    When you say anyone, do you really mean just any old swinging dick plucked from the local range, handed the rifle and told to just swap er' out?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast