Thread: Do you test your new CR123A cells before use?

Feedback Score

Do you test your new CR123A cells before use?

Was looking around for a new lights and a supply of CR123A cells.Ran across a few threads online that stated you should load test your new 123 cells for capacity and to get a good match as a safety measure for multi-cell lights.After reading some of the information it made me paranoid.

Guess I haven't been paying attention since I started using CR123A cell lights and the dangers cause Ive never tested my new cells.Although I only use new,fresh out of the package Surefire,Duracell and Panasonic cells in my two cell lights.

So how many folks here actually test/match their CR123A cells before use?

Is it really necessary to test fresh,new right out of the package CR123A cells from respected manufacturers?

Do you monitor the cells in your lights through testing?

If so what do yall use to test,multimeter or a ZTS load tester?
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II

Feedback Score
    no.

I've used a multi cell 123 light in one form or another literally everyday since 2005. I've mixed and matched new and old batteries, different brands (both well known and Chinese knockoffs), etc. and never had an issue. I'm no expert but this reeks of offsetting the gas rings in your bolt to keep your AR from blowing up. Now cue the experts telling me how I'm wrong...

ETA- I get free batteries from work on demand bc we have CR123 powered devices issued to us. I'm going to stand there at the storeroom counter next time and load test the batteries they give me just to see the look on the clerk's face FWIW I work for a federal agency of 4000+ sworn LE using the same devices I am, many of who probably put less thought and effort into maintaining their shit than I do. No problems.
    Last edited by ChaseN; 01-28-15 at 04:17.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Look at batteries run in series as a chain. It's only as strong as it's weakest link. However in batteries, the weak cell that gives out first doesn't break, it causes a current imbalance. The results are increased heat and the voltage dropping more quickly. So I voltage match my pairs and use the weakest sets for training and general household use, saving the best pairs for duty, carry and home defense. I buy Panasonic cells from battery junction, usually around 30 at a time.

I don't think you need an expensive meter unless you have other uses for it. You're not going to be throwing live cells away, just matching them up as closely as you can. For that, an inexpensive tester will work. Here's a good source of info if you want to learn more.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...configurations
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Look at batteries run in series as a chain. It's only as strong as it's weakest link. However in batteries, the weak cell that gives out first doesn't break, it causes a current imbalance. The results are increased heat and the voltage dropping more quickly. So I voltage match my pairs and use the weakest sets for training and general household use, saving the best pairs for duty, carry and home defense. I buy Panasonic cells from battery junction, usually around 30 at a time.

I don't think you need an expensive meter unless you have other uses for it. You're not going to be throwing live cells away, just matching them up as closely as you can. For that, an inexpensive tester will work. Here's a good source of info if you want to learn more.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...configurations
    Thanks for the response.
    I called and talked to the folks at Surefires tech line and got a excellent understanding of what had me concerned.Excellent folks there.
    I also ordered a ZTS mini to use as you describe.
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II