Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Kimbers Better Now Than When Cohen Was The CEO?

Feedback Score

Are Kimbers Better Now Than When Cohen Was The CEO?

This is a bit of an odd question I know, but I'm just curious because a relative who never listens to my advice about these types of things is either thinking about buying one or has already gotten one, they weren't exactly clear. I would just like to know whether or not the guns have become reliable since Cohen's departure from the company or if they can be brought up to speed. I tried to recommend a Springfield TRP, I really did.
    Yes, I like pretty ponies.

Feedback Score
    I have owned Wilsons, Kimbers and a new RO9mm. I have no issues with my Kimbers, and I love the RO.
    If something is worth doing, it's worth doing right---Dad

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm an anomaly also. I have a Kimber Ultra, the little 3" barrel model,. You know, the ones everyone says cannot be reliable. I've got at least 3k rounds through it over about 3 years time including every type of ammo you can think of and has never once had a single issue of any kind. MIM parts and all. Go figure.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get the Kimber and decide for yourself. From my experience they were heavy into MIM parts. I would only want tool steel in my 1911.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone who's replied so far. I'd just like to get a sense of the way you've all run your Kimbers. I don't think my relative is going to be doing a whole lot of shooting with the Kimber if they get or already have it but I'd like to know where they could expect to see any issues with one.
    Yes, I like pretty ponies.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveAR View Post
    Get the Kimber and decide for yourself. From my experience they were heavy into MIM parts. I would only want tool steel in my 1911.
    That's how they got the name MIMber.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Delete
    Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 02-24-15 at 15:49. Reason: Ads

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    I'm an anomaly also. I have a Kimber Ultra, the little 3" barrel model,. You know, the ones everyone says cannot be reliable. I've got at least 3k rounds through it over about 3 years time including every type of ammo you can think of and has never once had a single issue of any kind. MIM parts and all. Go figure.
    ^^^^This for me as well.

SS Ultra Carry since 2002, never a hiccup. Honestly never knew there were 'issues' until now. Unreliable how? Just curious......

Feedback Score
    I've owned 3 Kimbers, a TLE, TLE stainless and a 3 1/2 in Raptor. I still have the basic TLE as a knock around gun. I had a lot of feeding issues, especially the compact. At the time I owned all 3 I was a uniformed LEO, and had enough issues that didn't seem to go away so I switched back to a Glock. Ended buying a NightHawk Custom. Cost an arm and leg, but has ran like a champ for 7 plus years now.

Feedback Score
    140 (100%)
    I had a Kimber Tactical Custom that wouldn't run with the OEM mag or Kimber Tac Mags. After running Chip McCormick mags for about 2.5k rounds the alloy frame's feed ramps were damaged from the metal follower(the same type of follower in the OEM mag) and I started getting fail to feed with some FMJ and with nearly all JHP ammo. I wonder how it would have fared with Wilson mags (plastic followers) but I won't be buying another alloy framed 1911 to find out.

The barrel also rusted with diligent preventative maintenance.
    You dig your grave with your fork.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast