Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A simple calculation to help find the best buffer/spring combo

Feedback Score

A simple calculation to help find the best buffer/spring combo

For my first build I went to great lengths to find an ideal buffer and spring configuration for my gun. I wanted my build to be a sweet shooter, so I started out with a 14.5" middy for its purported benefits over a carbine length gas system in combination with an M16 BCG. To tune the buffer and spring to the rest of the gun I turned to the forums but I was discouraged by the trial-and-error approach that is commonly advised. I didn't want to buy a bunch of extra parts and I wanted an answer that would satisfy my perfectionist side.

Due to the lack of hard numbers out there I had to find a way to mathematically represent different combinations of buffer weight and spring tension in order to find an optimal compromise between reliability and reduced recoil. Now, I am by no means an engineer or an expert so take all this with a grain of salt.

To start with, I dug up a chart of technical info on the forums that states that a Colt GI carbine spring imparts 6.040 lbs of force when compressed to 6.902". A standard H buffer weighs 3.8 oz. Since both of these components work in combination with each other I decided to use the product of the measurements as a unit of comparison. In order to do so I multiplied the spring weight by 16 so that the measurement would be in oz. So 6.040 x 16 = 96.64 and when multiplied by the buffer weight of 3.8 oz, we get a product of 367 units. Units of what you ask? **** if I know; like I said, I'm not an engineer. Think of this number as a unit of comparison.

So now that we have a number for the intended setup for a 14.5 middy we need to find a number for the point at which a setup will induce short cycling with the weakest ammo that you intend to use. According to various anecdotal reports, a Sprinco blue spring with an H2 buffer is where we will commonly start to see short stroking.

To get the info needed for this, I emailed Sprinco to find out how much heavier their blue spring is than stock. I got a prompt response of 17% (thanks Alan). This info coincided with the numbers on the chart that I dug up earlier so at this point I was starting to feel pretty good. So using our previous formula, a Sprinco blue with H2 buffer gets us 548 units.

By now, I assume that we are both on the same page, so in the interest of brevity I am going to present to you the information just as it appears on my notepad.

GI spring H buffer 367* intended weight

Sprinco blue H2 short cycles wolf 548
    GI spring H2 does not 444
    Failure point is somewhere in the middle at 496 (presumed)

15% below failure rate is ideal
    (421)

367* 26% below failure rate of 496
    405 18% below failure rate
    429 14% below failure rate
    452 9% below failure rate

GI spring H 367* intended weight
    GI spring ST-T2 406
    GI spring H2 444

Blue spring C 357
    Blue spring H 452
    Blue spring ST-T2 500

JP spring H 393
    JP spring ST-T2 434

The setup I arrived at is the JP tuned and polished extra power buffer spring (7% stronger than USGI) and the Spikes ST-T2 buffer. This setup is a comfortable margin below the failure rate while still being 15% heavier than the stock setup. As a basis for comparison, M193 ammo is very roughly 10% "hotter" than bottom of the barrel (think wolf) .223 ammo. As an added benefit, both of these components offer a reduction in cycling noise, and the ST-T2 does not rattle when shaken like a standard buffer would. I should also mention that my rifle functions perfectly with whatever I feed it.

So there you have it. I realize the unscientificness of this study, so feel free to pick it apart.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

A simple calculation to help find the best buffer/spring combo

Holy overthinking Batman!

A brief search here would've lead you to using a standard H buffer (I prefer an H2 in my 14.5" w/ my ammo choice) or an A5H3. The trial & error has already been done and all that info is here at your fingertips. It's still dependent on an individual's ammo selection so there's varying setups.
    I'm afraid your "calculations" may have lead you to the worst option based on the opinions of many here. There's only a very small following for the Spikes set up. The majority of experts here steer away from it.

But hey, if it works for you, roll with it.
    Last edited by Ryno12; 01-29-15 at 05:55.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Wow. That's a lot of mental masturbation, but nice work. I just have a bunch of blue Sprincos and a variety of buffers. Buffers are cheap. I use increasingly heavier weights until the rifle stops reliably cycling a given ammo. Then I use the next lighter buffer. 99.9% of the time, I think the choices are between an H or an H2, and maybe an H3, depending largely on the ammo (.223 vs 5.56) and the barrel length.

Feedback Score
    I like that you put the thought into it, but you don't account for gas port size at all.

Feedback Score
    Nothing wrong with being anal.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The premise is flawed. The combination we are looking for is not spring rate x buffer weight. Using that formula, we would use lighter springs with heavier buffers and heavier springs with lighter buffers.

What we are looking for is a balance between spring rate and reciprocating mass which includes the BCG
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    As others have pointed out, you don't have enough information (what ammo, gas port size - in other words, what force you're trying to counter with the recoil spring/buffer) to perform your calculation.

From my T&E (trial and error ) using various systems over the years, i came up with my own answer that works for everything reliably: vltor A5.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post

From my T&E (trial and error ) using various systems over the years, i came up with my own answer that works for everything reliably: vltor A5.
    I agree with that. I have three A5-equipped rifles and all cycle flawlessly, in addition to mitigating the recoil impulse to at least some degree. No drama, no fiddling, no calculating, just wrench in the stock A5 from VLTOR and good to go.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I agree with that. I have three A5-equipped rifles and all cycle flawlessly, in addition to mitigating the recoil impulse to at least some degree. No drama, no fiddling, no calculating, just wrench in the stock A5 from VLTOR and good to go.
    That's the route I've been taking also. I still have some rifles that are using an H or H2 but all my recent builds are A5 equipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think you made it more complicated than necessary and as stated above didn't get all of the variables correct. I recommend less math and more VLTOR A5.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 01-29-15 at 18:08.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast