Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A simple calculation to help find the best buffer/spring combo

Feedback Score
    I like the op's thinking! BTW, your unit would be oz squared since you multiplied oz x oz.
    I expend tremendous amounts of energy and time merely to be normal.

Feedback Score
    With all other variables being the same, I have found that ambient temperature is one of the most influential factors on reliability. Guns like to run in warm and hot conditions, but everything changes when it gets really cold.

This is why military guns are gassed so hard, and work extremely well in the cold, while often exhibiting harsh recoiling characteristics in warmer temps. It's as if the AR15 TDP guns were built to run optimally in extreme cold, when using 5.56 NATO ammunition.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Good point, and something the game guys who reload know well. Sometimes in the winter they don't make their power factor.

Somewhere out there is temperature range the M-16/M-4 was designed to operate in. I bet a SME on here knows.

Some info:

http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/...mmunition.html

If someone has a copy of this doc, please post it:
    Frankford Arsenal, "Study of the Temperature Effects on the Ballistic Performance of 5.56 mm Ammunition."
    Last edited by Rayrevolver; 01-30-15 at 18:59.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    With all other variables being the same, I have found that ambient temperature is one of the most influential factors on reliability. Guns like to run in warm and hot conditions, but everything changes when it gets really cold.

This is why military guns are gassed so hard, and work extremely well in the cold, while often exhibiting harsh recoiling characteristics in warmer temps. It's as if the AR15 TDP guns were built to run optimally in extreme cold, when using 5.56 NATO ammunition.
    The idea was/is to make it work within the parameters that they are presented with to achieve. If it fails to work at colder temps, then they would have to make it so it did so function, as long as it did not induce failures at warmer temps outside their "margin rate of failures".

Feedback Score
    Would A5 vltor be the best set up for BCM BFH 14.5 ?
    I'm
    Looking at these parts now to go with my Mega billet lower and SD-E trigger and my 14.5 BCM BFH upper
    THANKZ

Sent from my rocket ship using
    My cell'y

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Wow, you're a lot smarter than me. I just went A5, bought a quality rifle with an properly sized gas port and forgot about it. Boring reliability.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    I think mitigating recoil impulse is more important to a gamer rifle than an SD rifle. My priority is reliability across a wide range of ammo loadings and temperatures (we get yearly 100 degree temp swing from 90's down to sub zero temps). Standard carbine spring and an H1 to help keep the BCG closed during lockup, and both my 16" middy's run 100%; the 20" gets a standard rifle buffer. Sure they may have a smidge more recoil impulse than a finely tuned buffer and gas port, but I know it'll run on damn near any ammo in any temp.
    Last edited by Hamms; 11-28-15 at 00:25.

Feedback Score
    Mitigating recoil and operational span can be mutually exclusive. That does not mean that the two cannot overlap, they can, in many cases.
    Going from one end of the spectrum to another in function may have better charactoristics than another depending on the user's priority. I would tend to choose to prefer a system that has a possible wider span in use over recoil characteristics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12