Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gemtech introducing suppressed bolt carrier

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Gemtech introducing suppressed bolt carrier

First, I am not affiliated with Gemtech in any way. I just saw this on Facebook and wanted to see what people's thoughts were on it.

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/GEM...er-55p1149.htm

From Gemtech's website:

Let us be the first to introduce you to the gun accessory that will change your life. The GEMTECH Suppressed Bolt Carrier will increase the reliability of any of your suppressed AR-Platformed firearms. The adjustable bolt carrier is a drop-in replacement and will allow the shooter to choose between suppressed and unsuppressed settings without any permanent modifications to the firearm. No longer will you need to change gas blocks, buffers, or any other components. Not only that, but with the GEMTECH Suppressed Bolt Carrier, there is a reduction in carrier speed and less felt recoil, bringing the cyclical rate of the suppressed rifle down to unsuppressed levels. And in some systems, testing has shown that it can actually bring it LOWER than unsuppressed levels.

But don't take our word for it. Try it for yourself. And once you do, you will want them in all your rifles.

Reduces carrier speed to unsuppressed levels
    Reducse recoil & blowback
    Increses reliability & weapon life
    Reduces cyclic rate for full-auto weapons
    Price: $249.00

From tactical-life.com:

For 2015, Gemtech has announced a revolutionary, patent-pending bolt carrier built for your suppressed rifle.

RELATED: New For 2015: The One Gemtech Suppressor to Rule Them All
    RELATED: Gemtech Adds Serious Power to 300BLK Ammo Line
    The all new SBC allows the user to choose between a suppressed and unsuppressed setting. The shooter can enjoy increased reliability without altering the gas block, buffer or any other components.

Normally shooters use gas-buster charging handles, heavier buffers and an adjustable gas block to fight an overpressured system, but Gemtech has pushed things into the next generation with the SBC.

Built of S7 Steel for lighter weight and faster heat dissipation, and for erosion resistance, Gemtech’s patented SBC is an adjustable, drop-in fit for your AR platform rifle.

An even greater advantage provided by the SBC is increased reliability, reduction of carrier speed and lower felt recoil. In fact, on full auto the SBC reduces cyclic route down to the same level as if the weapon was unsuppressed. Some tests have produced cyclic rates even lower, though individual weapons and experience will obviously vary.

For more information on the SBC and other products from Gemtech, please visit Gem-Tech.com.

The SBC:

Is available in 5.56mm and 7.62mm
    Reduces carrier speed to non-suppressed levels
    Reduces felt recoil
    Get less crap blown back in your face
    Increases reliability and weapon life
    Reduces cyclic rate on fully automatic
    - See more at: http://www.tactical-life.com/gear/ge...mtech-sbc-lead
    If this works as advertised it might be a working alternative to an adjustable gas block, but at more than double the price.
    Last edited by SteveL; 02-03-15 at 18:04.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)

There is already a thread on this somewhere I believe.
    Some other company designed it. It doesn't fix the problem of the gas making it to the bcg. The only fix for over gassed barrel is a adjustable gas block or a barrel gas port bushing.

EDIT:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=150517

Adj gas key made by sun devil. Rubber city armory also mentioned.
    Last edited by steyrman13; 02-03-15 at 18:43.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    There is already a thread on this somewhere I believe.
    Some other company designed it. It doesn't fix the problem of the gas making it to the bcg. The only fix for over gassed barrel is a adjustable gas block or a barrel gas port bushing.

EDIT:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=150517

Adj gas key made by sun devil. Rubber city armory also mentioned.
    Based on the pics of the Rubber City Armory adjustable gas key, and this bolt carrier from Gemtech, I don't believe they're the same thing.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Seen in person at SHOT.

It is good to go, the guys at Gemtech did a lot of work and testing on this.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Based on the pics of the Rubber City Armory adjustable gas key, and this bolt carrier from Gemtech, I don't believe they're the same thing.
    I had forgotten about the way the other looks. After reading through the other thread before and seeing the Facebook posts about the gemtech one, I never looked back at the other style. I was mostly talking about the principle and the way it works. Both shutoff gas in the gas key rather than before it gets there which increases gas pressure where it wasn't designed to be. In the key and tube and putting back pressure back into the gas port of the barrel.
    Last edited by steyrman13; 08-11-15 at 07:30.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    Seen in person at SHOT.

It is good to go, the guys at Gemtech did a lot of work and testing on this.
    Good to hear.

There is no one more ardently opposed to switching to non-milspec parts than I on this forum, but I will be buying one. If it doesn't work, I will bitch out Gemtech for all of eternity (think markm and LWRC), but I don't think Gemtech would release something without putting in work first.

Video I found
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 02-03-15 at 19:06.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    My initial thoughts are that if you have the tools and ability to change a gas block yourself, then that still might be your best option, based simply on cost. However, If you're dealing with an upper that has a pinned muzzle device then changing a gas block becomes a major pain and this might be a better option.
    Steve

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    My initial thoughts are that if you have the tools and ability to change a gas block yourself, then that still might be your best option, based simply on cost. However, If you're dealing with an upper that has a pinned muzzle device then changing a gas block becomes a major pain and this might be a better option.
    The point of the gemtech bcg is that you do not have to deal with gas blocks. Having gone that route and not been terribly fond of how adjustable gas blocks run (and the difficulty associated in cleaning them properly) this is really a no-brainer. Take any milspec DI gun, add this bcg and a suppressor, done. No fuss.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Yeah I like this since I want to keep my FSB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Other than a Fixed FSP, or pinned MD, it could cause more problems. Read through the thread I posted. Also think about this. If you were to shit it to low or off, there would be pressure trying to move the BCG back but wouldn't have gas flowing into the piston system (the bolt) to aid in unlocking which could result in failure to eject etc. I'm not saying it isn't an aid, but unless you are stuck with Fixed front sight or pinned muzzle device, the adj gas block or a gas port insert would serve you better

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast