Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Gemtech introducing suppressed bolt carrier

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Isn't it the same thing - will the RGP barrel run unsuppressed?
    Yes, it runs suppressed & unsuppressed.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    Yes, it runs suppressed & unsuppressed.
    Good to know. Thanks for the reply back!

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Bootleg has their Lightweight Adjustable Carrier in stock if someone wants to pick one and up and do a review -- http://bootleginc.com/product/bootle...table-carrier/

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Bootleg has their Lightweight Adjustable Carrier in stock if someone wants to pick one and up and do a review -- http://bootleginc.com/product/bootle...table-carrier/
    I heard about them at SHOT, do want...

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Thanks to a VERY generous M4C member I got to try out a Gemtech SBC today. I have it for a few days so I'm sure I'll have more to add next week. I did get a quick range session in this AM.

Gun - BCM 11.5 ELW with Griffin M4SD-II suppressor. A5H2/3/4, green SpringCo.

UNsuppressed in suppressed setting would not cycle with A5H2/3/4. I didn't have H1/0 or a standard spring so I'm unsure if I could have made it run or not.

Suppressor ON in suppressed setting functioned fine/locked back with all buffers. If I could shoot two identical suppressed guns side by side I may be able to feel a difference with each buffer weight. I'm sure there is some perceivable difference but I couldn't tell after swapping buffers and then shooting again.

General impression shooting suppressed - DEFINITELY softer. Brass went from 1/2 o'clock in UNsuppressed setting to 4/5 o'clock in suppressed setting.

Gas to face. It's not eliminated. Less? Yes. Definitely less. Still a little in the eye but not the volume of standard carriers.

Is it worth it? It works. Different size ports and different suppressors will probably have a large impact on how much/well it works as well. I've had the same gun/can with an AGB. I think the results were similar. After shooting the SBC and AGB, I'd give the nod to the Gemtech SBC simply because it easily removable and swappable to different uppers. While an AGB is not permanent, it's not swapped back and forth to different uppers any where nearly as easy. So for similar results that can be used on multiple uppers (easily/immediately) the gemtech would be my choice.

Yes, I realize I could get two AGBs for the price of the Gemtech carrier and AGBs are adjustable - not just ON/OFF. Despite those legitimate benefits, the ability to swap from gun to gun and a 3 second on/off adjustment would make the Gemtech MY choice.

I will probably grab one sooner than later.

I've got a K 5.56 can (M4SDK) and a short .30 cal can (Sandman S) in jail right now. I would love to see how each would have affected back pressure/GTF (if at all). Perhaps in the future....

More to follow next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Seems like an adjustable gas block would do the same thing more effectively for much cheaper. This assumes reliability being roughly equal.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Nice review Punkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    Seems like an adjustable gas block would do the same thing more effectively for much cheaper. This assumes reliability being roughly equal.

I agree with an adjustable gas block being more effective due to finer adjustments. Cost could be argued depending on your situation.

-multiple rifles that need adjustable gas blocks vs. 1 SBC
    -rifles with 45 degree, press fit gas blocks (i.e. LMT MRP barrels).
    -having to mail your barrel out for an AGB install (I have no local gun smiths I would personally trust).

The only adjustable gas block I personally am interested in is the Micro MOA. That is around $125 IIRC. A SBC is around $180 (if you already have a bolt to use). For me, it is cheaper, and makes a lot more sense to use a SBC.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    I'd usually agree but some people have multiple SBR's(Or uppers) and rather than getting an AGB for each, the carrier doesn't seem like a bad thing.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I prefer an adjustable gas block and an LMT enhanced carrier with enhanced cam pin track, with the A5H4 buffer over an adjustable carrier for the simple fact that an adjustable carrier is using the gas tube as a pressure vessel in a manner that hasn't been explored much from an engineering standpoint.

Throw in a tubbs AR10 flat wire spring and you have my setup with zero gas to face and minimal exiting the ejection port even with full NATO pressure ammo.

I'm sure the SBC is a quality unit, and it may be the only option for some. But it's not my first recommendation.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast