Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Into pencil barrel carbines? Check out this article

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    KISS is somewhat of an antiquated fad IMHO. (snip)
    Agree with this entire post.

KISS is not about losing capability, it about simplifying and strengthening.

Red Dot Sight (RDS)= easier to use than irons, esp under stress
    Light= locate and identify a threat

These two simple additions to a platform increase function immeasurably. Why lose ability just because it uses batteries? Ass Thekatar has said, Aimpoint batteries last longer than most marriages. Capability is gained by technology, not by moving backward. Not batteries? That's not KISS, that's Amish.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    light barrels are great!

mine shoots sub 2" groups at 100 yards with irons... probably mostly due to me sucking.

cmmg middy 1in7 twist on a cav arms poly lower.

i haven't weighed it yet, but it has to be under 6 lbs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aalmcc4 View Post
    I'm glad this thread came up. I have been knocking around the idea to build a real KISS/SHTF rifle. Real simple; I'm thinking of getting a Bushmaster superlightweight 16" barrel assembly and installing it on one of their A1 uppers. That way I have real simple sights that have less of a chance of getting knocked around. I plan to put it on a Bushmaster lower with a CAR collapsible stock.

No lights, no rails, no optics, no batteries. Just KISS. Super light and super simple. Have any of you guys done a similar build??. Or am I just going down a misguided path?

Feedback Score

LIGHT AR BARRELS

I LOVE LIGHT BARRELS,I carried Custom 300 WBY(6 lbs)2 years Hunting the world for trophy,fired less than 20 rounds(8 world records trophys).
    I took a SP1 in trade 5 years ago(20 in./ .560 muzzel),replaced all the pins,custom loaded it,and with a 16 powerscope let 8 members of club shoot it.2 shooters beat myself and others by shooting 3 shot 3/8 in group at 200 yds.on no wind day.
    I have built 2 custom TUBB guns since with heavy barrel that needs wheels to move them that don't shoot that well.

When talking to companys about custom AR uppers they all have said cannot guarantee accuracy on 20 plus inches or longer barrels with .600 barrel muzzel diameter.
    BUT BOLT ACTION SMITHS WILL BUILD YOU A 6 LB GUN WITH GUARANTEE???
    To provide a capable shooting light barrel gun the barrel needs what Bench Rest people call match grade(exact honed same size bore for full lengh)when asked SMITH for bore scoped demention check before reaming."we don't do that on AR's...!

Gary

Feedback Score
    I might as well jump on the band wagon. Ltw barrels get the AR platform back to what its orgional designers ment it to be. They are the way to go IMHO.
    I can see a place for varmit shooters to run a heavy barrel on an AR, but then again this application was not what the orgional designers had in mind.

Feedback Score
    I have a basicly stock 6520 that I like very much, I have a light on it but I also built a LW flat top gun (Colt barrel) that is my general purpose/do everything gun. I have an Aimpoint in a LaRue mount and a 1.5-5 Leupold w/LM that I swap out depending on situation. It seems to be with me more than any other long gun I have.

I think it weighs 7.5 pounds and shoots right at 1" @100 yards. What more do you need?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Heathers old Colt barrel on a RRA upper. Nice & light.
    Kelly H
    Yes, I know. No, I won't tell you.

Feedback Score
    Please post reviews on this site, not links back to another site.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12