Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: groomsmen gift knife ideas

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)

groomsmen gift knife ideas

Hello. Short story: I am getting married in a month and change. I haven't purchased the groomsmen gifts yet and I need to get moving on that if I am going to do it and possibly get them customized.

I was thinking if getting my groomsmen and best man folding knives. I don't want something super flashy, but not a POS either. They need to be cheap enough where I can afford 6 (if they get one, I get one too dammit), but not so cheap they they break.

I have had SOG knives in the past and their edge lasts all of two seconds, so none of that. I would like to keep it with a 400-500 budget with custom engraving (engraving is not necessary, I would rather spend an extra 50 tootal on the knives themselves than have some white laser engraved lettering).

I need help with this because I may know things about guns, I know little above knives.

I would like to keep a 2.5-3" folder, maybe replaceable scales, pocket clip that doesn't suck, and a silver blade, but black phosphate would be nice too. I hear the spyderco brand thrown around a lot, but they are an enigma to me ATM as far as what to get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Not a folder but, my buddy bought his groomsmen all Esee Izula in different colors.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm guessing that you mean your total budget is $500-600 (not per knife).

Check these guys out:

http://www.dlttrading.com/engraved-knives

As far as which knife to pick - I would go for something US made or a Japanese or Taiwanese Spyderco. You'll get the most bang for your buck with a Kershaw. I'm not a big fan of Ken Onion's designs, but his pieces made by Kershaw are quality. You could order six engraved Leeks for $341.40 shipped.

If you want to go fancier, then try damascus:

http://www.knifeworks.com/kershawlee...x#.VNSuhPnF-Pw

Engraved, 6 knives would come out to $509.70 shipped.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I get married at the end of this month. I am in the same boat, except I have a laser engraver here at work that can customize them.

I like the idea of some Esee fixed blades or something else where I can engrave into the micarta handle.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Spyderco Delica or anything from Victorinox

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Benchmade makes excellent knives. They also have an awesome laser engraving service that is super fast. You can either buy them from Benchmade or pick them up cheaper on amazon and then send them in. Google "$100 benchmade" and the first links will be for amazon. See if there is a knife you like at the price point you were thinking. The Griptilian and the 530 Pardue would be great gifts. Then go to Benchmade's website and under services tab you see custom laser marking. If you have any questions don't hesitate to call as their CS is some of the best in the business.

I can vouch for their laser engraving quality. I sent all my clients 940s with our logo laser marked on the back of the knife for xmass and they turned out awesome!
    Last edited by themonk; 02-06-15 at 11:58.

Feedback Score
    56 (100%)
    I love Spyderco knives because they're nearly all slim enough to keep in a back pocket without discomfort, which I could not say of my otherwise excellent Benchmade Barrage. If you want them to carry these blades, it's at least a consideration that it shouldn't be a chore to pack it in khakis.

Pick out a Delica variant or a Sage, really any 2.9-3.9" Spyderco. There's a wealth of sizes, blade types and edges, and you can spend from $60 up to $200 per knife, and still know it's a quality blade. There's nearly always a trophy shop in town that can engrave the blade for a few bucks per.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    I would second the ESSE or Benchmade suggestions.

Feedback Score
    254 (100%)
    First off. Congratulations.

I would second the vote for a Benchmade Griptilian. My EDC is a Doug Ritter Mini MK1 (modeled after the Griptilian and made by Benchmade). Link HERE. It has a some changes in blade geometry and makeup but is very similar to the Griptilian HERE which should be in your price range (pre-engraving) at $85 per +/- $5.

The plus you get with Benchmade is a "Life Sharp" service where for $5 you send the knife in and they sharpen it up for you for the life of the knife.

I just recently sent a Mini Ritter back because the clip got caught on something and got all buggered up. This EDC has been beaten and used, not babied and has held up extremely well. I noticed that after the hook of the clip and drop down a flight of cement stairs , I lost one side of the tork nut that serves as the axle of the folder (still working condition though). I sent it back told them to sharpen it up and to please fix the clip and other issues. I was sure that the clip would not be covered under the warranty and told them to charge me whatever they needed to get the thing back to as close to new as possible. Imagine my surprise when a week later the Ritter returned, razor sharp, and all issues fixed. Not only did they replace the clip, they bent back the original to its proper shape and included it as a back up. Oh yeah, no charge for any of the service as well. I guess having been a loyal customer helps sometimes.

Good luck in the search and enjoy the big day.
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 02-06-15 at 11:20. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    I bought my groomsmen Benchmade D2 mini grips from Cabelas or available in the custom Griptilian directly from BM. The axis lock is my favorite locking mechanism. Easy one hand open and close. They nocked it out of the park on the laser marking. I'd go with them if you can.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast