Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The continued evolution of one rifle (2015) with more insight.

Feedback Score

The continued evolution of one rifle (2015) with more insight.

This thread was created to answer some questions I’ve got from others recently from the forums. This is the continued evolution of my carbine and I hope this thread could help explain the thought processes of the changes (past, present, and future). I’ve had a previous thread on the rifle set up about 2 years ago.
    Referenced here:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...rbine-Overview

This thread is an update to the previous thread with more information on the current configuration of the rifle. In short, I have updated many parts to both the upper and lower (almost a complete rebuild). Purpose of the rifle is that still of a “general purpose gun” (ranging from fun game gun/hunting/defensive). As I stated before, part/configurations change as newer technology and techniques come out. The primary focus was making it more streamlined, weight reduction, and improvement in balance. The result is a much more streamlined configuration than my past set up. In hindsight, the previous configurations worked ok as intended, but was fairly cumbersome and not efficient as it is now.

***Note: my electronic scale is currently out of commission so I cannot give a weight for the rifle as is now.***

The following is summary of the past configuration.
    Previously:

Hardly a custom build at the time (2007-2008). Old Stag 16” upper with KAC RAS and RRA Lower. I bought the RRA lower in a group buy with some friends who used to shoot high power with – this lower was not used for high power).
    I then replaced the old stag upper with the BCM LW 16” carbine upper around later 2011. Old Eotech (so old it didn’t have the protective hood). I transferred the old KAC RAS over to the upper at the time:

The KAC RAS was replaced by the Troy Delta Rail in around 2012. Rational for the rail was explained by my previous thread listed at top of this thread (FF ability, quick drop-in unit, more real estate). Aimpoint PRO replaced the old Eotech. Not pictured is the B5 SOPMOD that I normally used, I was using an old CAR stock I had around for that shoot. B5 SOPMOD was reinstated after.

This configuration was left mostly as is for the last two years until I made some major changes.

---------

Present: Lower and upper at some points were also almost completely reassembled for new parts.
    Parts currently on Lower half:
    -RRA Lower (same 8 yr old lower). Receiver extension changed out about 4+ years ago to a military RE (this was done before this latest iteration of changes). This allowed for me to use the B5 SOPMOD and older Colt style stock.
    - Modified RRA Ambi (not the Star ver) by Dremel. I had gotten this way before there were a lot of choices for ambi-selectors. I liked how the set-screw was internal and not external like with most ambi-selectors. I had contoured the off side so it didn’t rub against the trigger finger. This was done about 3 years ago with success. This selector has been used for 5 years now w/o any failures/loosening of screw.
    - Magpul MIAD retextured by myself. Blast from the past, this was my first aftermarket grip when these first came out. I’ve used the MOE, then switched to the K2 until recently. K2 angle was great, but made the gun front heavy(er) because of the angle. I also preferred the MIAD with the thickest backstrap.
    - Geissele G2S. Got dealer pricing on these and finally got one last December. I’ve been shooting the GI trigger since I started shooting ARs. Was reluctant to get a 2 stage trigger b/c I was afraid of forgetting how to shoot a standard GI trigger. I ended up getting a Colt 6920 kept it with a gritty GI trigger, so I shoot that rifle occasionally to not forget how to shoot well with the GI trigger. Impressions in the time I’ve had with it are very positive
    - BCM Gunfighter stock. Replaced the beloved B5 SOPMOD (now residing on the Colt 6920). I was impressed with Kincel’s drop test and the weight. This is my lighter-weight build, so I decided to go with the BCM stock. I also like the sling tab they have, as I do S-fold my sling. A CAT is also attached by shock chord and the tab keeps the chord from sliding forward. I also like how the stock is lighter than my old CTR.
    - H buffer and GG&G sling receiver plate
    - Ergo Gapper for standard trigger guard. This thing is awesome, a must if one is keeping the original trigger guard. I've had this unit for about 2.5-3 years now.
    - Removed parts: Redi-mag (old gen) - Handy, but it was a boat anchor. Magpul BAD – removed b/c I didn’t want to screw up muscle memory with operations when other rifles didn’t have them. Also had some issues with gun locking back with last shot when the BAD was installed. KNS anti-rotation pins – removed b/c I was using them mostly to experiment on trigger pulls with GI triggers in the past. Magpul K2 replaced by older (but newly stippled) MIAD. Magpul CTR was replaced by B5 SOPMOD which was then replaced by the BCM Stock.

Upper:
    - Same BCM LW 16” upper and BCG. Carbine gas system was chosen because I shoot a lot of weak ammo when training and was planning on using a FF rail in the past for a FSB cutout (Troy Delta/ DD RIS II, etc). 2-3 MOA gun when shooting supported with surplus ammo with the Aimpoint PRO. Kept the A2 birdcage that came with the upper.
    - new BCM complete BCG. Replaced the old Spike’s BCG. The old BCG is fine, now a spare BCG. I got the new BCG to make the upper more “BCM complete” (perhaps my OCD?)
    - BCM Low profile gas block for LW barrel profile. Replaced the old A2 F marked front sight. Went BCM since it’s already a BCM upper. I could have gone with a lower priced other branded GB, but can’t really go wrong with BCM parts anyway.
    - Aimpoint PRO. Kept this optic b/c it still works well. I prefer the wider tube than the Micro T1/H1 series for field of view. I still prefer the Eotech reticle, but love the AP quality, reliability, and battery life compared to Eotechs.
    - Magpul BUIS. Lightweight and robust at a good price for the set.
    - BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 charging handle (gen 1). I’ve had this CH for almost 4.5 years now, still rocking strong.
    - ALG Defense EMR 15” MLOK V1. The handguard decision process took the longest. I was looking at something that was streamlined and solid lock-up. I almost with the BCM KMR series, but after handling the ALG rail and a KMR, I went with the ALG for several reasons. I liked the contour of the ALG in my hands and the price was almost half of what the KMR was going for at the time. Another reason was that after looking at the specs b/t Keymod and MLOK, I went with MLOK (both are good options though). Visually, I also preferred the rectangular slots vs the hardware store mounting holes on handguards. The EMR is slightly heavier than the KMR as well. I got the “race gun gray” anodized finish as it would stay cooler than black under the sun in Texas summers.
    - Shock Chord and keepers from REI. While I love the EMR, it gets hot under sustained shooting. I've tried the Orca Arms heat sleeve wrap and didn't like how bulky it was and how it didn't allow for much ventilation for the barrel. I got this idea from the Warsport folks and honestly thought their “war bungee” idea was frankly retarded at first. That was until I read that part of their rationale was to help keeping cables/wires tied down and helping the hand slightly cooler with an increased surface area of material on a hot rail. I think the bungee concept made better sense on a tube like the EMR. Also great for adding vegetation for camo purposes for hunting/etc. After some shooting sessions (some good ol’ 2 gun action stages), it keeps the handguard still slim while giving my hands more traction. I will keep these on for now.
    - Arisaka MLOK finger stop. This thing is solid and tiny. Replaced the first gen Magpul hand stop. I’m still playing around with a good placement for it. Initial impressions are good (only had this for about a week or so with one 5 hour range session with it).
    - Streamlight TLR 1 with pressure pad and modified toggle to prevent AD. I’ve had this light for a while and mounted it on a IWC/Haley Thorntail I had laying around. I used the 3 o’clock MLOK slot to clear the front sight. The soon to be released EMR V2s have modified angles for the MLOK mounting slots to address the clearance issue I faced. I used the IWC mount to pt the light at a 2 o’clock position. Using an old Butler Creek scope cap to protect the lens. Note that I am using a second Geissele co-witness rail for the pressure pad mount.
    - BFG VCAS NSN ver Sling. I’ve had this sling for over 5 years now. Still operational and still my favorite sling.

Pictures:

ALG EMR MLOK 15” V1:

Other shots:

Modified ambi-selector:

I'll be happy to answer any more questions. Any new changes to the gun will be posted her later on.
    Last edited by Kilo 1-1; 02-06-15 at 04:02.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Nice! Any chance you could snap a picture of the TLR in the mount either from the top or the front of the rifle? I have one at 12 o'clock and I'm thinking of moving it offset since I got a magnifier and find the TLR to actually be more obtrusive than my front sight when I use it. I'm just curious how tight to the rail that mount puts the TLR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TF82 View Post
    Nice! Any chance you could snap a picture of the TLR in the mount either from the top or the front of the rifle? I have one at 12 o'clock and I'm thinking of moving it offset since I got a magnifier and find the TLR to actually be more obtrusive than my front sight when I use it. I'm just curious how tight to the rail that mount puts the TLR.
    I tried mounting the TLR1 in the front, but found it obtrusive as well.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Great write up showing the evolution of your carbine.

I think you peaked this this configuration when you had the Redi-Mag on it.......but to each his own. Nice set up and it is well thought out.

In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Kilo

I have followed your rifle thru most of the iterations and it has always been one of my favorite layouts on the entire site.

I've actually made decisions on my setups based on your rifle(s).

Your latest version is outstanding as well, my friend.

Feedback Score
    Never mind, saw a close up and it answered my question.
    Last edited by Doc. Holiday; 02-07-15 at 12:46.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    Thanks docsherm, BangBang77.

I took it out to do some longer range shooting. Haven't done bench shooting in a while, wanted to focus on fundamentals again at longer ranges. Bipod not normally on the gun, but it's attached via an old KAC Bipod stud rail adapter I had laying around. I didn't get pictures of the targets, but it wasn't anything remarkable as I was shooting XM193. Grouping about ~3 inches @ 100 yds with the PRO. I'm actually considering to get a magnifier to use to help with the longer ranges as I don't have any magnified optics.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I too have followed your rifle over the years and it hs always been one of my favorites. I think the ALG rail was a good move for the better barrel nut design than the Troy. The only thing i dont care for is the bungy cord as i have never liked paracord or anything wrapped through rails, but as long as it works for you then rock on. Nice job as always and thanks for the well put together build write up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dentron View Post
    I too have followed your rifle over the years and it hs always been one of my favorites. I think the ALG rail was a good move for the better barrel nut design than the Troy. The only thing i dont care for is the bungy cord as i have never liked paracord or anything wrapped through rails, but as long as it works for you then rock on. Nice job as always and thanks for the well put together build write up.
    Thanks buddy. The ALG does have a mammoth barrel nut that is rock solid and there is no flex with this rail. Speaking of shock chord, I didn't post any pictures of the EMR w/o the chords attached earlier. These are earlier configurations that I was still working with at the time. The Magpul hand stop, K2, and b5 SOPMOD are no longer on there.

----
    Recent earlier configurations prior to the creation of this thread:

The B5 stock is comfortable and remains one of my favorite stocks. It was moved to the Colt 6920 due to the heavier weight.

Colt 6920 "Block 1'ish" on top.

Post B5 stock and with new BCM Gunfighter. The Magpul hand stop was replaced with Arisaka finger stop.
    Last edited by Kilo 1-1; 02-07-15 at 23:17.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Thanks for the pics regarding the TLR. Definitely something I'll have to consider.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast