Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The continued evolution of one rifle (2015) with more insight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TF82 View Post
    Thanks for the pics regarding the TLR. Definitely something I'll have to consider.
    No problem buddy, it'll definitely clear your FOV with magnifier.

Speaking of magnifiers, I just ordered a magnifier and a LaRue mount myself to experiment with as well. I stayed away from magnifiers in the past b/c I still had the fixed front sight post in the front that would give a pronounced shadow when using one. One problem I'm seeing is that I won't have any space for the upper for the BUIS since I'm not using a cantilever mount for the PRO (and I don't want to move it forward and have part of the mounting hanging off the upper). I've got a second ALG Co-witness rail and will experiment moving the BUIS in front of the PRO on the EMR. Nothing is set in stone yet, and I realize adding more weight to the gun. I've decided having the flexibility for a little magnification for spotting/shooting warrants adding some weight.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    That QRP mount looks like it has a ton of contact with the rail. I could be wrong and others would know more than me, but it seems like you would probably be fine moving it forward one notch, especially since it won't have any contact with your ALG rail at all. Then again, with the Aimpoint I suppose you have more room to play with your rear sight options. I think you'll like the magnifier. I especially like having it for when I'm shooting from a bench and like being able to take it off when I put the rifle away for as mine is primarily set up for HD.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TF82 View Post
    That QRP mount looks like it has a ton of contact with the rail. I could be wrong and others would know more than me, but it seems like you would probably be fine moving it forward one notch, especially since it won't have any contact with your ALG rail at all. Then again, with the Aimpoint I suppose you have more room to play with your rear sight options. I think you'll like the magnifier. I especially like having it for when I'm shooting from a bench and like being able to take it off when I put the rifle away for as mine is primarily set up for HD.
    That is what I'm thinking, but the QRP mount seems to do better if it's not hanging off in front of the upper. I'm not a fan of bridging upper and the rail, and I couldn't do it anyway b/c the EMR has nothing to bridge to haha. When it comes in, I'll try moving the PRO one notch forward and adjust the windage by a few clicks. If there's still not enough room, then the BUIS will come off.

Feedback Score
    Magnifier and mount have both arrived. It's a tight fit, but I moved the PRO one slot forward on the upper and was able to retain the BUIS on the upper with the magnifier in place. Rational for the unit is to have optic magnification when needed (I have no magnified glass), while retaining a fast reflex sight as the primary sighting source. I also went with a magnifier as I no longer have a fixed front sight that would cast a shadow in the FOV. As I stated before, the purpose of this gun is for "general purpose" - translation : can do a little bit of everything, but not really excelling at any. Although 3x is not a ton of magnification, it would be helpful for spotting targets (ie: hogs) and for longer shots past 300 meters. Frank Proctor once said that a well manufactured 16" AR can be a 600 yard gun, and maybe a little magnification might help some.

Magnifier: Primary Arms Gen III longer eye relief model.
    I went with the Primary Arms magnifier for several reasons. I don't have a lot of experience with magnifiers, so cost was an important factor as I didn't know if I would like it. PA's magnifier has gotten pretty positive reviews in the last few years, so I figured it'll be worth a shot.

Mount: Larue LT755 (shorter height/abs co-witness)
    Deciding on the mount took longer. Absolute co-witness was used as I'm keeping the PRO QRP mount. I originally was going to go with the PA magnifier + ADM twist mount combo. Although I like ADM mounts, I did not like how the mount twisted far out to the side of the carbine where it was right above the ejection port. When twisted/folded to the side, it seemed like a snag hazard and would be further away to reach it for me. I preferred Larue's simple folding/tilt design. PA had their own design, as with Samson and GG&G. I went Larue as I've had great experiences with their Eotech riser from the past. Funny how the mount is a lot more $$$ than the magnifier, but I think it's worth it.

I've added some self-camo clinging wrap around the magnifier to help with traction when flipping the unit to the side. The LT755 mount requires the unit to be pulled slightly to the rear before pivoting it to the side.

Impressions out of box are good so far and I can't give an accurate assessment just yet. It takes some practice to get used to the LT mount, but it locks solid in place and one can't accidentally cause the mount to pivot unless intentionally done so b/c of the solid locking design. One downside is the heft added to the unit. The LT mount isn't the lightest, and the PA unit is not very light either. This girl definitely feels heavier now, but at least the weight is centralized in the rear instead of the front. The weight is also more noticeable when mounted on the Colt 6920.
    Last edited by Kilo 1-1; 02-13-15 at 02:33.

Feedback Score
    -edited due to picture problems -
    Last edited by Kilo 1-1; 03-06-15 at 01:58.

Feedback Score
    -edited due to picture problems -
    Last edited by Kilo 1-1; 03-06-15 at 01:58.

Feedback Score
    Pictures back up due to image hosting issues.

---

Some changes were made in the last couple of weeks.
    I went ahead and changed the light. While the TLR-1 works well, I felt the combination of using a pic-rail + Haley offset and pressure pad was a bit much. This light configuration was moved over to the Colt 6920. I got myself a M300 and Magpul offset MLOK mount (direct attached the M300). The resulting package is lighter, more streamlined with no pressure pads. The offset mount allows the M300 to be hugged closer to the contour to the EMR. M300's got a better throw of light than the TLR1 (as expected). Only reason I bought the M300 was b/c of a 50% discount. Spendy, but I've had good luck with other SF products.

After playing with a buddy's MLOK VFG, I went ahead and got one after seeing how much smaller and lighter than its non-MLOK predecessor. I left the Arisaka Finger stop and use it as such, a finger-stop and not a hand stop. Still experimenting with the configuration with the VFG/finger stop, not sure if the MOE VFG will stay on long term yet.

Note: I had to trim the left side of the front MBUS' wing (the piece pressed to deploy the sights) to make clearance for the light. I suspect if one used a MBUS PRO, they would not have this issue.

Still experimenting with Magnifier. After getting it dialed in at 100y, I'm going to be trying some stages of fire with close and further out targets on the same run to see how things shake out. Eye relief is pretty good for the magnifier, better than some ACOGs I've tried in the past.

Rifle in latest iteration:

Last edited by Kilo 1-1; 03-06-15 at 02:07.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Looks good. Now when are you going to paint it to match that lower?.......
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Watching this build grow/evolve over the years has been a pleasure. Everything looks well thought out and who can say no to that well-loved look!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Looks good. Now when are you going to paint it to match that lower?.......
    Thanks doc! I don't know when it'll happen. The angle in the pictures actually don't show all the chipped off anodizing on the bottom of the magwell. I was actually thinking of getting the lower refinished via cerakote, but never got around to doing so. I'm frankly too lazy at this point to get it refinished.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasahara View Post
    Watching this build grow/evolve over the years has been a pleasure. Everything looks well thought out and who can say no to that well-loved look!
    Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

---
    Side note, I'm planning on getting some range time soon in some two-gun action with some buddies in our designed courses of fire. I confirmed the zero with magnifier at 100 yard over the last weekend. I'll post an AAR on what worked and what didn't after this next round of shooting. I expect some things will change on the rifle.

Last edited by Kilo 1-1; 03-11-15 at 04:02.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast