Thread: ? S&W Hammer mounted firing pins

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

? S&W Hammer mounted firing pins

Friend just received a S&W revolver from his grandfather and the firing pin (learned they call them hammer nose) is on the hammer. Touching the firing pin, it easily moves up and down. Is that normal?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Totally normal
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb Jensen View Post
    Totally normal

Thanks

Feedback Score
    And definitely better than their frame mounted firing pins. We had Ruger Service Sixes with the frame mounted transfer bar in our armory for years before transitioning to S&W model 64's. No problems with either until we started receiving model 64's with the firing pin in the frame. We have dimpled primers left and right. I've been looking for a S&W model 29-3 6.5" barrel or a prelock 629 5" and have run into frame mounted models. I'll pass.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
    And definitely better than their frame mounted firing pins. We had Ruger Service Sixes with the frame mounted transfer bar in our armory for years before transitioning to S&W model 64's. No problems with either until we started receiving model 64's with the firing pin in the frame. We have dimpled primers left and right. I've been looking for a S&W model 29-3 6.5" barrel or a prelock 629 5" and have run into frame mounted models. I'll pass.
    I just assumed firing pins in the frame was much better than hammer mounted. Dang, learn something new everyday.

Feedback Score
    S&W's .22 revos have had a frame mounted FP for a long time. I've owned one since I was 19, my kids are older than that now. No issues in all that time.

Feedback Score
    On the brighter side, Apex offers extended firing pins for the frame mounted centerfires!
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
    On the brighter side, Apex offers extended firing pins for the frame mounted centerfires!
    Power Custom makes extended hammer noses.
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    I have a SW 696 with a hammer mounted firing pin and it's one of my favorite pieces.

Feedback Score
    Yes the hammer noses will always have play in them. There are lots of issues with the frame mounted ones ( though the few I have had have me no issues at all) it is very rare to break a hammer nose or have ignition problems with them, providing the strain screw is properly tightened ( screw in base of grip frame front on all but the j's)