Page 59 of 91 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG MCX: When is an AR not an AR?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It appears the Sig's turnaround is very fast (2 days at Sig plus the shipping time) and they have redesigned the Firing Pin Lock to work with Geissele SSA triggers, rather than ship a new trigger of some unknown origin.

The Gunsmith Comments say "Performed mandatory carriage assembly upgrade with Firing Pin Lock for Geissele SSA trigger". My Geissele Tricon was still installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's cool. I still need to contact SIG about the recall...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I just saw the 11.5" pistol version of the MCX in both 5.56 and 300bo. I am actually considering one since SB Tactical made the collapsible brace. I love the brace on my MPX. I love the design of the MCX, now in a pistol length, it might be worth it for a truck gun.

Feedback Score
    My turn around was 2 weeks. I played with the new assembly last night. Disassembly and especially reassembly is a bit more of a pain in the ass. Getting the bolt carrier back on the recoil rod assembly took some time. I'll take it to the range this weekend.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    My .300 comes back tomorrow, it had the ALG ACT trigger. I will compare the firing pin block on that against the one on the 5.56 that had the standard trigger. If it is different, at least we would know that the safety can be had fro Sig is wanting to change FCG's.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So what's the final word on the MCX. Is it a good reliable firearm, or should I wait a few years? I'm not sure where it stands after reading about the issues. What do you think guys?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PNorris View Post
    So what's the final word on the MCX. Is it a good reliable firearm, or should I wait a few years? I'm not sure where it stands after reading about the issues. What do you think guys?
    I think it is safe to say that the jury is still out...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PNorris View Post
    I'd pass. I don't think that the operating system is any more or less reliable than an an AR, and it may need more refinement (2 generations in a year). Now, it is not compatible with the full spectrum of AR triggers. The quick change barrel retention mechanism lacks the robustness of the LMT MRP or SCAR.

If you need a folding stock platform the SCAR is still probably your best bet. If you want an SBR, I'd hold out for the B&T APC in 300BLK (I have no use for their 8.7" 5.56 version). Other reasonable alternatives are then Bren an ARX.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I'd pass. I don't think that the operating system is any more or less reliable than an an AR, and it may need more refinement (2 generations in a year). Now, it is not compatible with the full spectrum of AR triggers. The quick change barrel retention mechanism lacks the robustness of the LMT MRP or SCAR.

If you need a folding stock platform the SCAR is still probably your best bet. If you want an SBR, I'd hold out for the B&T APC in 300BLK (I have no use for their 8.7" 5.56 version). Other reasonable alternatives are then Bren an ARX.
    Not trying to start an argument but the platforms you mentioned (SCAR being the exception) are not really any more vetted than the MCX.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Not trying to start an argument but the platforms you mentioned (SCAR being the exception) are not really any more vetted than the MCX.

All of the alternatives that I listed except for the B&T have been around longer than the MCX and fielded by foreign militaries. The ARX has been around since 2008 and more than 30,000 have been issued to members of the Italian armed forces including those deployed to A-Stan. The design for the Bren has been around since 2006ish and has been fielded by the Czech Armed Forces for 5 years, Slovak Army, Indonesian military, and Mexican Federal Police. When it comes to the B&T, now we are talking about a Swiss firearms manufacturer known for some of the best engineering in the industry. Keep in mind that none of these required revisions of their operating system or a mass safety recall after being released to consumers.

As for the MCX, it has been released for 2 years and we are on the second generation of the gas system and carrier/recoil assembly. The only agencies using it are the 130-person strong SC&O19 (along with the Sig 516) and the Netherlands Maritime Special Operating Force.

My advice is that people stick with a quality AR. However, if you must have a folding stock carbine, there are probably better options than the MCX.

Page 59 of 91 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast