Page 84 of 91 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG MCX: When is an AR not an AR?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cdmiller View Post
    I’ve only handled one a couple of times. How do you tell manufacture date on one?
    I can't tell you anything about manufacturer date, but I can help you visually inspect a rifle to help you know what generation the parts are on the specific model you're considering buying.

So, there appears to have been a evolutionary upgrade cycle with these. Everything from the pistol buffer tube used on the pistol versions, to pistons, to the carrier group have evolved.

You can easily see what generation the bolt carrier group is in a couple of ways:

1. Look at the firing pin retention pin in the carrier. You can see this if the ejection port cover is open. If it's split, like the cotter pin on an AR15, it's the old carrier assembly. If it's solid, it's the new captive, solid pin that the new carrier group uses.

2. Retract the charging handle and look at the bolt lugs through the ejection port. The old bolt uses squared lugs just like an AR15. The 2nd Gen bolt has rounded lugs like a KAC SR-15. The Virtus-type bolt (only compatible with the new Virtus barrels) is also rounded, but the back faces of the bolt lugs are angled toward the bolt face instead of parallel with it.

The MCX vs Virtus barrel is easy:

The original MCX barrels have the gas block at roughly 5" from the receiver and are close to a pencil barrel profile. The Virtus barrel's gas block will be much closer to a carbine-length gas block position on an AR15 and will be noticable thicker than pencil profile toward the receiver.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Moved to the new thread.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 03-29-18 at 10:04.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hybrid set up on my SBR lower. not finished yet as i still need a real optic.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sardo67 View Post
    Hybrid set up on my SBR lower. not finished yet as i still need a real optic.

Nice. Is that a factory SIG conversion kit?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    yes i bought a Sig MCX "Hybrid" for $1,065 shipped to my FFL then moved it all onto my SBR lower

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just bought a virtus pistol myself.
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."- Claire Wolfe

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCK View Post
    Just bought a virtus pistol myself.
    Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? I'd be interested in hearing your feedback on the virtus pistol.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? I'd be interested in hearing your feedback on the virtus pistol.
    Have not, should have an opportunity this week, will update.
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."- Claire Wolfe

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a 11.5" 5.56 Virtus Pistol. It works Much heavier gun than I was expecting, but it's built like a tank. The factory brace sucks imo and was replaced by the SB Tactical M4 Brace. Pistol grip also replaced with BCM Mod 3. Pokey flash hider replaced with an A1 FH, thankfully Sig includes a taper adapter for 90 degree shoulders with the gun. 45* BAD Safety also works in the gun. Recoil impulse isn't bad but nothing beats DI.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matt7184 View Post
    I have a 11.5" 5.56 Virtus Pistol. It works Much heavier gun than I was expecting, but it's built like a tank. The factory brace sucks imo and was replaced by the SB Tactical M4 Brace. Pistol grip also replaced with BCM Mod 3. Pokey flash hider replaced with an A1 FH, thankfully Sig includes a taper adapter for 90 degree shoulders with the gun. 45* BAD Safety also works in the gun. Recoil impulse isn't bad but nothing beats DI.
    I got the MCX 5.56 pistol and it's still on the heavy side. Around 6.8lbs empty and clean.

I don't know what SIG was thinking when they made the Virtus heavier than the MCX. Most of the added weight looks like its in the barrel. You could always look into having it turned down.

Page 84 of 91 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast