Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steyr SSG-69 Discontinued

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    They are superb out of the box rifles. It's not unusual to see one print .5 MOA or under all day long w/ 168 / 175 et al.
    The factory Rifle Sight's & double set trigger is the Cat's meow for a hunting, bug out as it's light, accurate, ergonomic & a benign looking laser ray accurate missile launch tube. One of the all time "Ne Plus Ultra" Scout Rifle's. The problem was the price point compared to a Remington 700's. That was a function of the EU vs. USD however not the product itself. Occasionally you can find a SSG 69 w/ Hensoldt 10x ZF89 in 800 or 500 yd. Ret. Superb setup.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If a person could only have one for the year.....

Would one of these be worth it or just fix up a Remington?

Any input appreciated. Not a vs question, both are capable rifles, but if you wanted to have a handy bolt gun and were on a self-imposed gun allowance...

Would it be worth it?

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    Sounds like you need to bring this up with your gun-buyer self help group...

So if cost is not the issue, nor sending away to a specialty shop, or you just like the build/tinkering more than shooting - IMHO I have gotten great accuracy out of my two - better than the Remmy I used to have or my buddies tricked out one.

I spend more time reloading
    Glocks are functional tools and nothing else, hence they have no soul - Rob S.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When you speak of sending off to specialty shop or building/tinkering, are you referring to Steyr or Remington?

I'm wanting to keep stock if I go Steyr.

Thanksfor any help/additional input.

I have no knowledge base on them other than people saying they are good but a few people saying they would sooner go back to Remington.

I know what can be done to Remington but would prefer something just straight out the box for now.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo6Actual View Post
    They are superb out of the box .

It's not unusual to see one print .5 MOA or under all day long w/ 168 / 175 et al.

... it's light, accurate, ergonomic & a benign looking laser ray accurate missile launch tube. Occasionally you can find a SSG 69 w/ Hensoldt 10x ZF89 in 800 or 500 yd. Ret. Superb setup.
    I can attest to that. Had a 24" with Hensoldt 800m graduated scope and sold it to a friend for the PIIK with the 500m graduated scope.

Accuracy with the 24" with M852 was around 0.6 to 0.75 MOA.

The PIIK is a freaking laser. It NEVER shot above 0.6 MOA. Never. It averaged just under 0.5 MOA with many groups hovering around 0.25 MOA.

The thought of the poor materials for the magazine, trigger guard and stock left me wanting and I sold the PIIK for an FN SPRA3G.

If Steyr had improved the materials I would still have that fine rifle.
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    When you speak of sending off to specialty shop or building/tinkering, are you referring to Steyr or Remington?

I'm wanting to keep stock if I go Steyr.

Thanksfor any help/additional input.

I have no knowledge base on them other than people saying they are good but a few people saying they would sooner go back to Remington.

I know what can be done to Remington but would prefer something just straight out the box for now.
    Look at FN. The downside is that they are heavy rifles compared to the STEYR but they shoot well. There is a company that actually glass beds the rifles and sells them as only the A3G comes properly bedded.

I think I'd go with the 20" fluted & threaded version of their rifle: Te A5M.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I appreciate the heads up on the A3G.
    Something I'd look into later.

But this year it really is kind of a choice between the Steyr and Remington.

Looking hard at the full length long barrel. Just an honest bolt action but am fence sitting currently.

Also how are the materials disfavorable?

Because for the money I could just pop a PSS or LTR in a magpul stock but sorta wanted something different.

Thanks for any more input

Feedback Score
    I got 2. Both are PIIK's with double set triggers and threaded. One black and 1 green. I'm shooting the green one with a Silencerco harvester on it. I will hold the black one NIB in reserve.
    Took a nice whitetail this last fall with the OD gun.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I appreciate the heads up on the A3G.
    Something I'd look into later.

But this year it really is kind of a choice between the Steyr and Remington.

Looking hard at the full length long barrel. Just an honest bolt action but am fence sitting currently.

Also how are the materials disfavorable?

Because for the money I could just pop a PSS or LTR in a magpul stock but sorta wanted something different.

Thanks for any more input
    Materials are substandard.

The stock will eventually crack from applying sling pressure.

The trigger guard/floorplate isn't nearly as durable as I'd like it to be.

The magazine material is laughable.

Now that's comparing 1969 materials to 1999 materials. Today, I'd have an FN SPR, have it bedded and call it good.

I recall that US military testing found that it did not outshoot the Rem 700 rifle that was fielded against it at 800 to 1,000 yards. 13" vs 16" based upon the article I had years ago - not that any of that matters.

I just wish they upgraded the materials to modern polymers. If they had I would own Steyrs for all of the positive statements made in this thread - laser shooters, lightweight, innocuous aesthetics compared to, say an Accuracy International, FN SPR or M40 clone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123