Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steyr SSG-69 Discontinued

Feedback Score

Steyr SSG-69 Discontinued

It's been the rumor for years now, but I it's now true per the following email I got from Steyr USA last night:

The World Famous Steyr Sniper Rifle to be Retired in 2015

The World Famous SSG 69 is set to be retired after 40 outstanding years in service, however we are pleased to announce that one of our distributors decided to buy 1,000 units before the production line stopped. If you are interested in one of the last of these iconic pieces, you can contact CDNN Sports in Abilene, Texas at 1-800-588-9500 or online at

http://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms.html?brand=1253.

The last 1,000 units were produced in 12 different models PII and PIIK (some are the first ever with threaded barrels). They will be offered in single trigger, double trigger, green and black stocks. They each come standard with a factory mounted 20 MOA picatinny rail.

Also, do not fear if you are the current owner of an SSG model, SAI will still both warrant and perform factory service on all models and have spare parts available.
    Last edited by Barry in IN; 02-12-15 at 09:50.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    You've gotta be kidding me. $1500 for an SSG 69 w/ 20" Threaded barrel?

I wish I knew this a few weeks ago.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been very close to ordering an OD green Kompact-Threaded for a few weeks now. Its a tremendous price. I hesitate only because I've already got a Scout and don't really *need* another 308 bolt gun.
    | 92 - Billennium | Steel-I/96 Stock | WC BrigTac| Elite II | 90-Two G | Inox Brig |
    | 85FS Cheetah | 71 Jaguar | 21a Bobcat | 3032 Tomcat | Model 90 Armi Roma |
    | Sig - 551-A1 ODG | P553 | 522 | P320 FDE |
    | Noveske 10.5" Pistol | AP 12.5" | AP Tungsten SPR | DDM4 V7 in MSP & Elcan |
    | 308 - DSA FAL & Steyr Scout in grey |

Feedback Score
    Yeah, when I heard the end was near a couple of years ago, I ordered a standard black PII for $1500. That was the best deal I could find (in stock) aside from some 16" PIVs which I didn't want. That was the choice- black 25.6" or black 16".

I really wanted the 20" PIIK at the time, and would have definitely preferred a green stock and a pic rail and threaded muzzle. The scarcity of choices convinced me they had already been discontinued and I was seeing all that was left. I still think that was the case, until maybe Steyr scraped a few more together. It looks like its now turned into the best time to buy one, with the best selection ever. I may end up with a 20" yet.
    Last edited by Barry in IN; 02-12-15 at 12:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My credit card hates you.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I don't really need another .308 bolt gun, but......

Thanks for the heads up, Barry.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have an old Green stocked one that I bought used. It has a 26" barrel, double set triggers and is equipped with a Leupold 3-10 power scope. I have not fired the thing in at least 12 years.

Feedback Score
    i have no idea why, but i kinda want one of those. i haven't owned a 308win bolt gun in... i can't remember how long. 9 years maybe?

Feedback Score
    Dude. You're KILLING me here.

I just bought one. Dammit.

Now I need to know thread pitch and hope that it matches SilencerCo's. It's nowhere to be found.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    i have no idea why, but i kinda want one of those.
    Because they are odd. And they still shoot well.

I admit a lot of the reason I like them is because they were one of the "in" rifles to have when I was in Jr. High. A lot of the design seems counterintuitive to a precision rifle, and often simply being different is an attraction to some.
    Whatever; I do like them. I think it's a rugged action that operates smoothly, it shoots well, and the stock always fit me well. They always seemed expensive, but if you take most Remington 700 models then add DM bottom metal and a mag, a large bolt knob, and a pic rail, you are probably beyond SSG money pretty quick.

The biggest negatives to the SSG-69 is staying with 1960s materials and scope mounting. The plastic used in the stock and trigger guard can crack easier than newer materials. Their dovetail ring system is OK, but offers limited scope mounting options. I added Steyr's pic rail, strengthened the stock, and bought a couple of spare trigger guards. Now the pic rail is standard on these last ones, so that's fixed. CDI made a run of bottom metal (that's actually metal), and may or may not make more, if that's desired. I think for most people, one or two spare trigger guards at around $70 should suffice to keep them going from now on.
    McMillan makes stocks for them if somebody wants to change that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast