G&R Tactical
Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3878868788

Thread: Ask Us Anything: Faxon Firearms

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
    Really wish we could have gotten a Gunner-profile 10.5 vs the pencil. Iíve given up hope on that one though. Iíd tried talking Faxon out of the pencil and more towards the Gunner till I was blue in the face.
    The pencil 10.5 has some mean POI shift while hot - more shift than Iím comfortable with.
    Bummer.

Im Sorry but haven't they been making 'gunner' 10.5 for A LONG time now? The "gunner" idea is just govt profile in the rear and pencil forward of the Gas block. Since a 10.5 carbine barrel only has an inch or so past the gas block I don't see it being a significant step in any direction. Maybe a half ounce weight savings?
    "My wife makes Larue seem reasonably priced."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Im Sorry but haven't they been making 'gunner' 10.5 for A LONG time now? The "gunner" idea is just govt profile in the rear and pencil forward of the Gas block. Since a 10.5 carbine barrel only has an inch or so past the gas block I don't see it being a significant step in any direction. Maybe a half ounce weight savings?
    I could only find 10.5 gunners in 300blk and 7.62x39.

But maybe I missed it in my quick glance. I know they do a 11.5 gunner. I want one for a suppressed dedicated upper.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just looking at their site, I find a 10.5 5.56 in Gov't/Socom and Pencil only. The Gov't/Socom weight is 1.10#s and the Pencil @ .9#. Maybe they do not want to have 3 SKUs in the 10.5 length as I guess a GUNNER would come in @ 1#? I honestly do not know why they would choose a Pencil & Gov't vs a GUNNER and Gov't as the 2 SKUs, maybe to say they have the lightest 10.5 on the market? @Brahmzy how much POI are you getting? From all the info I have read about Faxon, it does not appear they do anything without a reason with a lot of testing to back up what they did.

The only thing I ever questioned them on was when they were doing a small forum group buy for a Grendel barrel and they/the forum went with 4150 over 416R, as my thought was that if you are going to make a barrel for the Grendel, one is most likely wanting the utmost accuracy. I brought it up a few times but not sure if the person who put the group buy together stayed w/ the 4150 as FaxonNathan even admitted that the 416R would result in a more accurate boring/rifling, which is what I thought one wanted with a Grendel barrel, but the group buy stayed w/ 4150. I find it interesting that when Faxon put out their own Grendel barrel it is in 416R, but what do I know. I do not have any data showing the difference between a 4150 vs 416R barrel of the same contour using the same ammo accuracy wise and also know every barrel has its own favorite ammo too.

I really hope Faxon does not abandon this page since Nathan is leaving/has left(?), it was nice reading his posts and getting a bit of insight into their company's methods. Crossing my fingers and looking forward to the new Faxon person.
    Last edited by bob4432; 11-09-17 at 23:17. Reason: :\

Feedback Score
    ^^ So this video describes my experience with it pretty closely.
    Itís a painful video to watch, and funny, and far from scientific, but these guys kinda nailed it.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lxq_nBZhcKA
    I get a similar, if not worse POI shift when the barrels hot. More so than Iíd like. And this is without hanging a heavy can off of it.
    In my opinion, this shouldíve been a Gunner profile at a minimum. Iím not a fan of the gubmint profiles. Iím just not.
    I have a 14.5 Gunner SBR and a 16 308 LW Faxon and they both shoot lights out awesome. Both well sub-MOA. Wonderful barrels. And the 11.5 Gunner is a very good barrel I hear - THATS what I was hoping Faxon would deliver in a 10.5.
    I was in communication a bit while Faxon was toying with which profile to go with and I urged them away from pencil, but like stated above, I think they wanted the lightest 10.5 and not to rob sales from their gubment 10.5.
    Iíve got 2 Noveske stainless 10.5 barrels that Iím happier with - just wish they a bit lighter. Me and pencils just havenít had a good history for whatever reason. YMMV

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    ^^ So this video describes my experience with it pretty closely.
    It’s a painful video to watch, and funny, and far from scientific, but these guys kinda nailed it.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lxq_nBZhcKA
    I get a similar, if not worse POI shift when the barrels hot. More so than I’d like. And this is without hanging a heavy can off of it.
    In my opinion, this should’ve been a Gunner profile at a minimum. I’m not a fan of the gubmint profiles. I’m just not.
    I have a 14.5 Gunner SBR and a 16 308 LW Faxon and they both shoot lights out awesome. Both well sub-MOA. Wonderful barrels. And the 11.5 Gunner is a very good barrel I hear - THATS what I was hoping Faxon would deliver in a 10.5.
    I was in communication a bit while Faxon was toying with which profile to go with and I urged them away from pencil, but like stated above, I think they wanted the lightest 10.5 and not to rob sales from their gubment 10.5.
    I’ve got 2 Noveske stainless 10.5 barrels that I’m happier with - just wish they a bit lighter. Me and pencils just haven’t had a good history for whatever reason. YMMV
    These barrels are used as OEM, for example I'm pretty sure the mega-ulra-uber-light 2A Arms uppers use Faxon barrels.

There might have been some requirement for the OEM deal. We may never know unless they choose to divulge it.

Feedback Score
    To state the obvious, you actually CAN make a barrel too thin. And it’s a fine line between too thin and adequate thickness. I think length also plays a factor. There is not much mass in a 10.5 barrel. It heats up fast and if it’s too thin, it’s going to shift the POI. Faxon Gunner profile is that sweet spot, for most users IMO. Obviously not if you’re routinely dumping mags FA. My SBRs, generally speaking, see a higher rate of fire than my others, so this forces me out of pencil barrels for them.
    I don’t get POI shift from my Noveske 10.5s or my Noveske 8.5 300BLK. Zero POI shift. I’ll take the weight penalty.
    Or, if Faxon decides to do a true Gunner profile 10.5, I’ll give it another go.
    All that said, some shooters are cool with some POI shift. Depends on the amount of shift and the shooter. Others, honestly, probably don’t even know or care it’s happening.
    Last edited by Brahmzy; 11-10-17 at 08:30.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Or, if Faxon decides to do a true Gunner profile 10.5, I’ll give it another go.
    One last time......

Gunner Profile IS (=) Government profile behind the gas block.

Because There is so little barrel INFRONT of the gas block on a 10.5 it makes ALOT of sense why faxon didn't make a gunner 10.5
    "My wife makes Larue seem reasonably priced."

Feedback Score
    ^^ Whatís your point?
    - ONE LAST TIME - Its still not a Gunner profile.
    It still takes a bigger/heavier gas block, a fatter barrel profile sitting out at the end of the barrel, no matter how short, etc.
    Thereís other guys making similar profiles, but their quality isnít anywhere near Faxonís in my experience.

Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3878868788