Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on my SBR build

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGreg View Post
    May I butt-in with a noob question?

My SBR stamp came in last month, and I'm SBR'ing a Noveske Gen 2 lower. My next step is the engraver. BUT... I went the "Individual' route and ATF made me put my full name as the manufacturer .. so that's a frickin 22 character top line and Saint Louis, MO as my 2nd line! Where the hell would you all recommend the engraving at? I'm thinking I'm screwed and have to go on the trigger pin area, but someone said earlier in this thread 'inside the magwell'. Can someone clue me in please? Thank you!
    Inside the trigger well is nice and unobtrusive. As to the mag well, what do you think the odds are that you will ever run into an ATF agent out on "NFA patrol". Or anyone else that would want to ding you because of a possible NFA engraving violation? Or someone who even knew it was a violation?

As to lowers...I've used BCM, Noveske, Rainier, and BAD. BAD is the nicest one I've ever built a rifle on. Rainier and BCM are in-spec and competent. I have 3 Noveske lowers and a Noveske Light Recce (Gen 1)...the rifle is nice, but the Noveske lowers I've used in builds are at best ordinary. Maybe the later generations are better, but I'll never buy another one.
    Last edited by Hmac; 02-24-15 at 08:29.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Inside the trigger well is nice and unobtrusive. As to the mag well, what do you think the odds are that you will ever run into an ATF agent out on "NFA patrol". Or anyone else that would want to ding you because of a possible NFA engraving violation? Or someone who even knew it was a violation?

As to lowers...I've used BCM, Noveske, Rainier, and BAD. BAD is the nicest one I've ever built a rifle on. Rainier and BCM are in-spec and competent. I have 3 Noveske lowers and a Noveske Light Recce (Gen 1)...the rifle is nice, but the Noveske lowers I've used in builds are at best ordinary. Maybe the later generations are better, but I'll never buy another one.
    I gotcha. As far as the magwell flare as an engraving location, as much as i'd like to put it there, i'm under the impression it's a no-go, and I'm a rule-follower. Period. I agree with your lower receiver opinions , i will also never get another one . A complete rifle, perhaps, but as a lower only.. nah.
    Last edited by OldGreg; 02-24-15 at 10:16. Reason: grammah

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    I have the Gen II Noveskes, but honestly any forged will do - spend that money on a proper A5 setup instead. Since SBR'ing it sinks $200 unrecoverably into the value of it, maybe try a nicer one (BattleArms or AXTS come to mind), but as happy as I am with the billet lowers I own, I still actually use forged ones on high end rifles and the billet ones have been relegated to unused uppers.

If you can find a used chainsaw Gen II - they're amazing. The upper/lower fit is oddly tight, but that's the closest thing to a complaint I have across all three of mine - since you'd be SBR-ing it, the chainsaw status isn't much of a detraction from resale value anyway, so you should be able to find one of those in your budget if you're bent on getting a flare forged setup.
    So is the A5 setup really worth it for my SBR???

I have read a bit about it and just want to be sure it'd be right for my 10.3"

Any feedback/experience would be great...getting ready to pull the trigger!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GO_ALLOUT View Post
    So is the A5 setup really worth it for my SBR???
    Sure. Your 10.5 will have just as much recoil as any other .223/5.56, with maybe even a sharper recoil impulse. Only downside to an A5 is about a 3/4 inch longer OAL with stock completely collapsed. That would only matter to someone who shot their SBR with the stock completely collapsed.

I have it on my 11.5. Love it. recoil difference is noticeable between it and my 11.5 SBR without the A5. It's not magic, but it is noticeable. It was worth the expense to me. Between the A5 and the BattleComp 1.0, it is noticeably easier to keep the rifle on target in rapid fire.
    Last edited by Hmac; 03-18-15 at 09:39.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Better off with a5h0 or a5h2?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Looks like I can get the vltor kit with a5h2 or go through bcm and itll come with a5h0

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Get the h2 and swap the weights if you need it lighter.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Went with the A5 kit from BCM...wish they offered different buffers as an option. Oh well...guess I'll try the A5H0 that it comes with and go from there.

Any opinions on stocks??? I've been leaning towards the new BCM but also like a few others kn the market. Not looking for the most hyped, more quality and I am a fan of the more streamlined less storage type.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GO_ALLOUT View Post
    Went with the A5 kit from BCM...wish they offered different buffers as an option. Oh well...guess I'll try the A5H0 that it comes with and go from there.

Any opinions on stocks??? I've been leaning towards the new BCM but also like a few others kn the market. Not looking for the most hyped, more quality and I am a fan of the more streamlined less storage type.
    You might get some hype towards the BCM, but I personally like the Magpul SL. Nice design, good cheek weld, QD sockets that you can actually use, lot less parts, and super nice fit on every tube Ive used them on.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm currently running a CTR on another AR...been really happy with it especially as it locks up super tight and doesn't wiggle.

Does the SL lock up as good as the CTR?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast