Thread: 30 caliber can on a 10.3 barrel

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

30 caliber can on a 10.3 barrel

Got to shoot the Gemtec Sandstorm on Pappabear's 10.3 Colt upper today. It's interesting how a large volume can with a 30 cal bore really minimizes overgassing.

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Interesting that a 10.3" with a Sandstorm is about the same length as a suppressed 16".

How did it sound?
    How much does that can weigh? (I mean how does it "feel", I can look up the specs myself)
    How did you mount it? Isn't it threaded 5/8x24?
    What BCGs are you guys running?
    Why do you have a fireplace in AZ?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I asked Mark to post that pic because I keep getting a " your image is too big" error. And I wanted to show exact,y what Eurodriver pointed out. We used the Gemtech Mk18 flash hider mount. You are correct. Same height as a 14.5 with mini 4 can. Couple inches shorter than the 11.5 Noveske.

It's a titanium quicksand can so it weighs 17 oz , which is the same as a AAC M4-2000.
    BCG is a MP3 robar Colt. Using Vltor A5

It balanced perfectly. It looked a little M110 ish to me. It was quiet and comfortable to shoot. I was pleasantly surprised. It didn't have that gallop or buck you get with cans very often.

Mark tapped the 500 steel with the irons. The 10.3 500 yard iron sight gun. ��My Aimpoint is being fixed.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 02-21-15 at 19:59.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I asked Mark to post that pic because I keep getting a " your image is too big" error. And I wanted to show exact,y what Eurodriver pointed out. We used the Gemtech Mk18 flash hider mount. You are correct. Same height as a 14.5 with mini 4 can. Couple inches shorter than the 11.5 Noveske.

It's a titanium quicksand can so it weighs 17 oz , which is the same as a AAC M4-2000.
    BCG is a MP3 robar Colt. Using Vltor A5

It balanced perfectly. It looked a little M110 ish to me. It was quiet and comfortable to shoot. I was pleasantly surprised. It didn't have that gallop or buck you get with cans very often.

Mark tapped the 500 steel with the irons. The 10.3 500 yard iron sight gun. ��My Aimpoint is being fixed.
    Good work! Thing looks massive, but at 17oz, I can relate to the weight with the M4-2000 on a 10.X barreled rifle. That ACS stock I bet helps make that more balanced. I use a UBR on my 10.x with M4-2000. 500 with irons on that thing is nothing short of what I would expect you two to accomplish. Love when the shorties get out there and touch 500+. Also, thanks for the new 77gr tipped match king performance update on the other thread.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I run a YHM Phantom 30cal on a 9" AAC 300BLK and love the way it looks, handles and performs. Fantastic system IMO.

Pictured at the top:

I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The shocker was the lack of over gassed symptoms. No violent 1 o'clock ejection of brass, no loud ejection port snap in your right ear, etc. And it's not loud at all to the shooter.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Must be that specific model suppressor. And we all know how much you love Gemtech, markm. My saker 762 still pushes ejection forward and a little gas in my face with 5.56 despite it being pretty large. Haven't noticed much of an ejection port snap, though.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've only ever noticed gas on my face once with my SDN6 on my a 10.5" 5.56 SBR, and that was while shooting in the rain.

I definitely get gas on my fingers though.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Must be that specific model suppressor. And we all know how much you love Gemtech, markm. My saker 762 still pushes ejection forward and a little gas in my face with 5.56 despite it being pretty large. Haven't noticed much of an ejection port snap, though.
    I have to give Gemtech credit. This can went back and they didn't give Pappabear the runaround. It's a completely "rebuilt" can and the runout is gone.