Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How much ammo?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorbait View Post
    Thanks Doc. I did not know that they were still available. Just picked up 2 more.....
    I got 2 more before I posted the link.......
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I will not go into actual counts but I recently acquired a FEW 77gr, and a FEW 855s The TT ammo can covers are really great kit, I've been told "no more bags", fortunately I have enough already and had a couple of extras.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just got my email from PSA for the 5 cases of 855 I ordered over a week ago. I have been lax in my buying. I try to buy a case of something every month like a lot of you guys. This puts me up around 8k I think. I also managed to score an 8 pounder of retumbo a couple of weeks ago. I have ammo stored at more than one place and will have to count it all.
    I was waiting for 556 to hit .28 a round and got caught a bit this time. Which is breaking my rule of buying when the price settles. It never goes back down to what it was before "it" happened, but just above it. My wallet never seems to recover on guns or ammo. in Dec I bought a 6.5 creed and 2 beasts.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    7 rounds of 9mm.
    2 12 gauge shells.
    1 rape whistle.
    According to the politicians, that's all anyone will ever need...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    They'd rather us have none.

I'm starting to think about my game plan if confiscation becomes a reality, but that's a discussion for another thread.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    7 rounds of 9mm.
    2 12 gauge shells.
    1 rape whistle.
    According to the politicians, that's all anyone will ever need...
    I thought they banned rape whistles due to environmental noise pollution?
    Director of Business Development - Unity Tactical, LLC - Design and Validation for the tactical community.
    www.unitytactical.com / www.facebook.com/unitytacticalllc

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    They'd rather us have none.

I'm starting to think about my game plan if confiscation becomes a reality, but that's a discussion for another thread.
    That's what the watertight burial containers are for.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    When I can count it (other than the NUMBER of 40mm ammo cans I have it stored in), I don't have ENOUGH.
    These things are a good 70-100 lbs when filled. 😉
    Looking for someone who can make a polygonal 1911 barrel for my father. IM me if you can help.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    That's what the watertight burial containers are for.
    +1! Remember to get below the frost line

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Rather than a raw round count, I'd be more interested in hearing about the proportions in which you're stocking pistol:rifle:shotgun ammo, and how you arrived at those figures. Do they reflect your current reality, or something else?

I shoot, carry, and have available a HG far more than any other system. I am far more likely to employ a HG for a serious purpose, even in a professional capacity. My HG skills require more upkeep than others. I can travel to and within more places with a HG than any other. Accordingly, my training time, ammunition, and support items reflect that.

Time and resource investment in rifles/carbines is 10-20% of that. If that. Shotgun is minimal anymore.

The calamity most are likely to find themselves in are market shortages limiting resupply. In the event of some fantastical "SHTF"/disaster scenario, the quantity of any one type required, or that could be reasonably carried, redistributed, or repositioned elsewhere is small. Specialty units going out to intentionally engage well armed hostile forces carry basic loads that are also quite small.

What are you doing, and why?
    I keep a "Stock Pile" of ammunition for two separate reasons.

The first reason is to ensure a supply of training and practice ammunition, should a shortage occur for whatever reason. I keep a 1 to 1 ratio of 5.56mm and 9mm ammunition, FMJ all. For my defensive/carry ammunition, I use a 3 to 1 ratio of rifle to pistol.

I have a minimum amount of each that I keep on hand and will not go below. I do not think in term of rounds vs. rifle, but rounds per shooter. For me, that minimum is 1K of 5.56 and 500 9mm per shooter living in my house. I keep more than the minimum on hand. But just like discussing the amount of cash in my checking account at present, I don't see the need to share the amount of ammunition in my basement, with the world via the internet.

I found it was easier to set ammunition aside by using a 2 to 1 ratio for replacement. If I buy 1,000 rounds, 500 of it will become available to be shot and the other 500 gets set aside. I also rotate my stock by age. For example, if I buy a 1,000 case of 5.56, 500 is for shooting and 500 is for storage. But the entire 1,000 case goes to the back of the ammo shelf and 500 rounds of the oldest "storage ammo" goes into the range bag to be shot.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast