Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much ammo?

Feedback Score

How much ammo?

If you guys don't mind me asking... How much ammo do you guys keep in reserve for all of your guns? How much would be enough to have in reserve for a really bad SHTF situation? I have 2 ARs, an M&P-15, a .45, a 9mm, a 30-30, and a .22 style 1911. I know that I should have a TON of .22 for "just in case" but as far as the others I don't know how much would be enough. Any input is appreciated thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a1madrid View Post
    If you guys don't mind me asking... How much ammo do you guys keep in reserve for all of your guns? How much would be enough to have in reserve for a really bad SHTF situation? I have 2 ARs, an M&P-15, a .45, a 9mm, a 30-30, and a .22 style 1911. I know that I should have a TON of .22 for "just in case" but as far as the others I don't know how much would be enough. Any input is appreciated thanks

Well I know I have about 10,000 rounds of 5.56 bulk ammo and plenty of .45

1000's of bullets and primers and 40 or 50 lbs of powder.

Why? I haven't a clue. Maybe I am afraid they are going to quit selling ammo. Maybe just because I am an ammo horder. Maybe just in case the world ends tommorow or zombies start rising from the dead. None of which is very likely.

Realistically what do you want the ammo for?

Survival hunting? probably only need a 100 or 200 rounds a year with lots of shooting. Box of 20 deer rounds would last a couple of years back when I used to hunt a lot.

Defending home and Family? Well just how many shooting battles do you think you could survive without a tramatic wound? Remember to the victor go the spoils. Going to be lots of nice weapons and ammo lying around for the taking if you are the winner. When overwhelming force arrives and you have to bail how much of that ammo can you carry.

Lots of ways to look at these scenarios. I think we all believe that Daniel Boone and Clint Eastwood are all down there in our genes and when the *^% hits the fan we will be winners.

Feedback Score
    10,000 rounds of 5.56 is a ton!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A couple thousand 556, 9mm and 22. Basically enough to get me through another panic and not have to curtail my shooting hobby. That is how I plan.

I also always replace what I shoot right away.

As far as shtf, what do you really think is going to happen? In any realistic scenario, I'd bet you'd run out of food and water loooooong before ammo was an issue...

With that said, standard magic load out # is 210 rounds - maybe having that for each gun is a good start...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a1madrid View Post
    10,000 rounds of 5.56 is a ton!

literally!

don't know why I keep buying it but for some reason I can't pass up a deal. Ammo availability and price has been getting better all the time.

Don't even shoot the bulk ammo I have. I only shoot my reloads. The fun is in trying out new powder and bullet combinations and finding that magic accuracy node.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I try to keep as much ammo as my budget allows around, mostly because with matches and practice I tend to go through it fairly quick. I have some HSTs and Bonded .223 ammo stored away, but mostly I stash components to load 9mm. I don't want to run out and have another run on everything happen, and leave me with nothing to shoot. Realistically I find myself storing ammo for use rather than for any SHTF situation. Like was mentioned before, I would rather have a large store of food and water, with less ammo, than a crazy stash of ammo, with nothing to eat or drink.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    When I can count it (other than the NUMBER of 40mm ammo cans I have it stored in), I don't have ENOUGH.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    I feel like 10,000 rounds of 5.56 is plenty enough for whatever situation. You most likely will end up dead if you are in a scenario that calls for that much.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    When I can count it (other than the NUMBER of 40mm ammo cans I have it stored in), I don't have ENOUGH.
    yeah I buy the federal lake city in the 420 round ammo cans. got about 20 on the shelves now along with a bunch of other ammo I have accumulated over the years. About half and half 55 and 62 green tip. My SHTF gun really likes the green tips Too bad they will be gone soon.

I have two targets I like to take to the gun range One a falling plate and the other is a dueling tree. I had to stop people from using the green tip when shooting them. the actual ballistic plate was fine but many couldn't manage to hit the plate and shot the stand all to pieces. the dueling tree is dead one day I will revive it with a completely ballistic steel frame.
    Last edited by rcoodyar15; 02-21-15 at 18:06.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I have bought a case of 5.56mm every month since prices stabilized after Sandy Hook.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast