Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Starting to Reload - Equiptment Questions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I've never reloaded and I'm buying the stuff to start. I read the sticky(great thread), but still have some questions. Im starting with just pistol for now, will start rifle a year or two down the road. Right now I'm only concerned with 40SW.

Im buying:
    Dillon RL550B press,
    Dillon 40SW carbide 3-die set

what are shell holders and do they come with the reloader?(it says it comes with a shell plate)
    On the Dillon progressives - the shell plate is also the shell holder. "Shell Holder" generally referrs to a single stage press (switch shell holders to fit the case heads of different rifle/pistol calibers).

You don't need a single stage press or a manual priming tool to load pistol ammo. No need to decap pistol brass in advance either, unless you are processing military brass (with a crimped primer pocket). A single stage press may come in handy down the road, however. For example, I resize most rifle brass (especially .308 or larger) on a single stage, rather than putting that stress on an aluminum frame Dillon. Actually, I even resize .223 brass on the single stage, even though it's not really necessary to do so.

When I need to decap (only) in advance, I still do that on a Dillon 550 or a 1050. It's easy to up a seperate tool-head on the 550 (with a universal decapping die) for that.

You also need case gauges for setting up your sizer die(s). Optional, yes, but good to have.

Good choice on the Dillon Die set for the 550, btw. They are designed for progressive loaders(especially the sizing die). Be sure to read (and re-read) the setup instructions.

I always use calipers to set COL - even on my pistol reloads. Get something a little better than Harbor Freight or just go whole $hog and consider it a lifetime investment. I still have and use an older (less expensive) set of Midway digitals, even though I also have (and use) a nicer set of Mitutoy's. (The Midway calipers now stay in the garage next to my case trimmer.) The two read within .001" of each other.
    Last edited by shootist~; 02-28-15 at 15:52.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice all. Got the dillon 550 dies, and eliminator scale. I have a friend with calipers, and access to calibrated mitutoyo s if needed. I'll get the other stuff down the road. Next will probably be a tumbler.

I'll definately get a single stage and primer, but I'm saving for a wedding right now so....

bare minimum right now to get rounds downrange on a budget cause I gotta get ready for uspsa season!
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-01-15 at 01:03.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Best of luck! You are headed down the right path and that 550 will pay dividends if you are loading for USPSA.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Thanks for the advice all. Got the dillon 550 dies, and eliminator scale. I have a friend with calipers, and access to calibrated mitutoyo s if needed. I'll get the other stuff down the road. Next will probably be a tumbler.

I'll definately get a single stage and primer, but I'm saving for a wedding right now so....

bare minimum right now to get rounds downrange on a budget cause I gotta get ready for uspsa season!
    The $30 for a Lee single stage press will improve your reloading experience by a factor of 10.

But you'll quickly find that out soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123