Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My different take on a SPR rifle. BCM/Noveske/Geissele

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)

My different take on a SPR rifle. BCM/Noveske/Geissele

This rifle is not a standard SPR style rifle in regards to the barrel length, but it was my take on an accurate Ar platform rifle that was tweaked to my liking. This is just my twist on a good shooting AR. This is my only magnified optic AR platform rifle. For long range precision shooting I pick up my bolt rifles with a little higher magnification. But I still wanted to have something I could consistently hit a silhouette plate target at 600 yards. I started this project with a Noveske Afghan 13.7 stainless barrel. (Excellent and accurate barrel, and figured why not) I sent it off to be ball mill dimpled from Mr. Pitts. I wanted to keep the weight down a bit, and the OAL of this rifle with suppressor on the smaller side and went with a SOCOM 5.56 Mini suppressor. And still be able to get out of my truck and Polaris Ranger. As taking a 18 inch rifle with a suppressor in and out of a truck inst the easiest task. While I still wanted to be able to use this quickly inside 100 yards with 1x power, I opted for the Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5X SFP with BTR-2. This rifle shoots under 1moa at 100 with Mk262 mod 1s and is just as much of a performer out to the longer distances. I have not yet been able to shoot over 600+ yard mark, and while the effectiveness of the round is not that great at that distance with the 13.7, I have no doubt that I will get hits at that range. More of just for fun over 600. This rifle has seen only a few hundred rounds so far, and have been very impressed. I'm interested in suggestions for a bi-pod that can maybe direct attach to M-lok? If there are any? Going into this build I knew what I was giving up in the 13.7 length in velocity, but it does not make this set up any less accurate. Just had to make little more adjustments at further distance. Parts list and pictures below.

Lower:

BCM Complete Lower with A5. Form 1 SBR
    Geissele SSA-E trigger group
    Noveske QD plate with Magpul MS4
    Battle Arms Ambi selector
    Vltor A5H4 with Vltor spring
    BCM Gunfighter grip
    Magpul SL stock

Upper:

Vltor MUR-1A
    BCM BCG
    BCM Mod 4 CH
    Noveske 13.7 Afghan Mid length gas, stainless barrel, Ball mill dimpled
    Noveske Low pro gas block and tube
    Geissele MK8 13" SMR M-Lok
    Surefire SFMB-556 Muzzle Brake
    KAC micro 600 rear sight
    KAC Taupe 99051 Front sight
    Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5X in SFP with BTR-2 rectile
    ADM Recon QD mount
    Surefire M600U 500 lumen scout
    Surefire SR05 switch

Comments, (good or bad), questions, any feedback is welcome. Enjoy.

IMAG0458_1.jpg

IMAG0460_1.jpg
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 12-07-17 at 18:40. Reason: Went with the A5 setup.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have considered a similar rifle with the Afghan barrel and a Saker K. My goto precision AR now, is an 18" Rogue Hunter(intermediate gas; not dimpled) and 5.56 Specwar, and I really like its accuracy, but not so much its length and weight. It wears a Vortex Razor 1-6, and I think its magnification is just right for this type of rifle. I use the same BAD-ASS levers on my SPR, just opposite sides. It is the only rifle that I like the long crank lever, but it feels right for some reason.

You produced a good looking rifle with quality parts. I like it, and may have to get my rear in gear to copy it.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    I have considered a similar rifle with the Afghan barrel and a Saker K. My goto precision AR now, is an 18" Rogue Hunter(intermediate gas; not dimpled) and 5.56 Specwar, and I really like its accuracy, but not so much its length and weight. It wears a Vortex Razor 1-6, and I think its magnification is just right for this type of rifle. I use the same BAD-ASS levers on my SPR, just opposite sides. It is the only rifle that I like the long crank lever, but it feels right for some reason.

You produced a good looking rifle with quality parts. I like it, and may have to get my rear in gear to copy it.
    Thanks! This is also the only rifle I have the crank lever on. Weird.. The afghan and Saker K would be a great setup in my opinion. Also, Copy away. I'll feel honored The ball mill was strictly for weight savings. Nothing else. I know it has that "cool" factor to some, but the barrel was a little heavy for my taste. I know slapping a suppressor on the end kind of reverses the weight thing.. Going the 13.7 route really makes it a more compact package but still has the accuracy that I wanted. The Surefire mini keeps the length down quite a bit, and feels like my standard 16 inch middy in length. I was ok with the velocity lost and what goes with it. I love my 11.5s and 12.5s for inside 300 mainly, but wanted something just a tad longer and mid length gas system. This thing is such a soft shooter. Overall the performance and accuracy exceeded my expectation, and the 1-6.5 does its job well enough for the distances I need. I wouldn't hesitate to build this exact same rifle over again.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 02-23-15 at 13:05.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    How do you like the Geissele rail?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Very cool set up. I like it. Do you have a pic of it without the can on it?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    How do you like the Geissele rail?
    I love the Geissele rail. Just solid as can be. Its not as wide as the MK4 but a little wider then the MK1s I have. Just wanted to go M-Lok to try it out, and 13 inch MK1s are impossible to find. I'm a Geissele fan. Running the 13.7 barrel, anything longer then a true 13 inch rail will obstruct the suppressor from mounting. And I like that "no-gap" look.

Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Very cool set up. I like it. Do you have a pic of it without the can on it?
    Thank you. Ill have to take a look on my computer to see if I have one. I think I took one before the light went on the rifle. Or Ill take one when I get home this evening.

Edit.. Found the picture.. Attachment 31868
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 02-23-15 at 13:50.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You've literally read my mind or me yours! This is EXACTLY what I envisioned for a Recce/SPR build for my birthday.

Thanks for the recent info on OAL, btw!

So I need to order an Afghan and have it fluted underneath the handguard or reprofiled a bit to get it to 25 oz as I think the Afghan is ~35 oz (IIRC).

I really like your build and could EASILY be a sole rifle. I like that.

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    You've literally read my mind or me yours! This is EXACTLY what I envisioned for a Recce/SPR build for my birthday.

Thanks for the recent info on OAL, btw!

So I need to order an Afghan and have it fluted underneath the handguard or reprofiled a bit to get it to 25 oz as I think the Afghan is ~35 oz (IIRC).

I really like your build and could EASILY be a sole rifle. I like that.

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."
    No worries on the OAL info. I almost had a moment of "I wasted 200 bucks" on the sbr stamp after I put it all together. Measured with a dowel and it was in fact still about .2 or so short. I wish I measured the weight before I had the ball mill dimple work done.

Thanks for the compliments.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    No worries on the OAL info. I almost had a moment of "I wasted 200 bucks" on the sbr stamp after I put it all together. Measured with a dowel and it was in fact still about .2 or so short. I wish I measured the weight before I had the ball mill dimple work done.

Thanks for the compliments.
    0.2" cost $200...ouch. Sweet rifle.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    0.2" cost $200...ouch. Sweet rifle.
    I went into it fully expecting to SBR the lower. But when it was all said and done, I was just curious to the OAL. That's where I had my little moment if you will. If it was over 16, I don't like pinning really anyway, especially on almost a 700 dollar barrel all said and done, and still would have just run it how it is as a SBR.

Thanks for the compliment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast