Thread: Glock slide rail question

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Glock slide rail question

I have a Gen 4 G17 that's almost a year old now and only has about 2500 rounds through it. The gun has run flawlessly from day one and continues to do so. I broke it down today to clean it and found the finish on the slide rail is flaking off. This is the first time I've seen this. I've run Glocks for years for Mil and civilian use and haven't run across this. It looks like maybe they are chrome plated and its flaking off. Has anyone had this issue? My gut feeling is to throw it back together and just not think about it again, but it certainly surprised me to find.

Cell phone pic so it may be a touch hard to see, but take a look at the left rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nightstalker865; 04-05-15 at 08:27.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The rails are not chrome plated, IIRC Glock uses nickel plating on the rails. However, that is just normal wear and will not affect anything. You have nothing to worry about regarding the wear on your Glock 17's slide rails.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 04-05-15 at 12:43.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Looks like my gen 3's and gen 4's. Pretty normal wear

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Glock slide rail question

It's just something I had not seen before. I can scrape it off with my fingernail where it's already peeling. I've got no issue just running it as is. I was just curious.

Thanks.

Last edited by Nightstalker865; 04-05-15 at 16:49.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker865 View Post
    It's just something I had not seen before. I can scrape it off with my fingernail where it's already peeling. I've got no issue just running it as is. I was just curious.

Thanks.

As I mentioned above, it's just normal wear. Lube your Glock and keep shooting it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's not optimal but I have one straight out of the box with the same thing. I degreased it and hit it with some cold blue. Doesn't affect anything but cosmetics.
    I'm a lead farmer motherf**ker! - Kurt Lazarus