Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PRI or AA ff tube?

Feedback Score
    I have a PRI tube on my 20" rifle. While it isn't exactly "light", I like it. Guess that runs counter to the comments here but oh well.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This PRI tube is less than an ounce heavier than the comparable AA tube of the same length according to manufacturer's specs.
    http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detai...96951&CAT=4812

Given the PRI tube has military credentials (even if with a different barrel nut and the over-rail-rail), I would prefer to go that route given the two choices you mentioned.

If you are open to other ideas, the AP Custom Rhino carbon fibre handguards look quite interesting to me.

Feedback Score
    You could always wrap some insulation or get rail covers over a metal handgaurd, but wanting something with a lower heat capacity makes sense. I don't have any experience with other materials, so good luck.

Feedback Score
    I took 7oz off a PRI AR10 handguard last night by removing the 12, 9, and 3 o'clock rails, as well as the heat shield inside, and added a Magpul Mlok low profile QD socket at the 9 o'clock. It's much more streamlined and lightweight now at 9.9oz, not counting the barrel nut and threaded ring.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    I took 7oz off a PRI AR10 handguard last night by removing the 12, 9, and 3 o'clock rails, as well as the heat shield inside, and added a Magpul Mlok low profile QD socket at the 9 o'clock. It's much more streamlined and lightweight now at 9.9oz, not counting the barrel nut and threaded ring.
    It's good to know that you can shave that much weight off of the PRI tube by removing the rails and heat shield.

If I remember correctly, a rifle length handguard (without rail sections) from Alexander weighs right at 10 ounces with the barrel nut.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12