Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geissele SSA in Colt 6951 9mm?

Feedback Score

Geissele SSA in Colt 6951 9mm?

New production, as of last month....

I know COLT is ramping the bolt on these now and I've read on TOS that fellas are installing aftermarket triggers in them, but it seems more like a 'let's try this', rather than a confirmed plug and play.

Further, I called Geissele and spoke with a young woman...she was nice, but seemed to be not too aware of a 9mm COLT being made...sort of gave me a generic answer the Geissele pins were harder, more durable than COLT's and that the SSA should work fine. Again, the answer didn't feel thoroughly definitive to me.

I know COLT put stainless pins in the trigger group for a reason...anybody with thoughts on this?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I've read the SD3G does not work, but I believe the SSA-E will. No first had experience here though.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Works for me in a 6951 with ramped bolt. G2s also works. S3g does not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimcakes View Post
    New production, as of last month....

I know COLT is ramping the bolt on these now and I've read on TOS that fellas are installing aftermarket triggers in them, but it seems more like a 'let's try this', rather than a confirmed plug and play.

Further, I called Geissele and spoke with a young woman...she was nice, but seemed to be not too aware of a 9mm COLT being made...sort of gave me a generic answer the Geissele pins were harder, more durable than COLT's and that the SSA should work fine. Again, the answer didn't feel thoroughly definitive to me.

I know COLT put stainless pins in the trigger group for a reason...anybody with thoughts on this?
    We haven't tested the 9mm rifles here at the shop but we have had some customers tell us they work and some say they do not work. Since the 9mm AR's don't have a mil-spec its kind of hard to say which ones will be fine and which ones won't be. From what we have seen, the S3G and SD3G won't be compatible due to the short reset on them along with the ramped bolt found on most 9mm AR rifles. As far as the pins go, we harden our pins to ensure that they remain very strong and have never had any types of issues with the pin breaking on any AR platform. I hope this helps clear it up a bit.

-Geissele Customer Service

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arty155 View Post
    We haven't tested the 9mm rifles here at the shop but we have had some customers tell us they work and some say they do not work. Since the 9mm AR's don't have a mil-spec its kind of hard to say which ones will be fine and which ones won't be. From what we have seen, the S3G and SD3G won't be compatible due to the short reset on them along with the ramped bolt found on most 9mm AR rifles. As far as the pins go, we harden our pins to ensure that they remain very strong and have never had any types of issues with the pin breaking on any AR platform. I hope this helps clear it up a bit.

-Geissele Customer Service
    GSC, that does help. I have SSA's in my other 4 COLT's, all 5.56 guns, and I know the SSA (other triggers in your line-up) are engineered to work, and work reliably, in the 5.56 pattern AR.

I was looking for the same kind of testing or at least a more definitive answer than a user reporting he/she has 250, 500 or 1,000 rounds through a 9mm gun and proclaiming "it's good to go".

I've read enough here and elsewhere, and been around firearms long enough, to know that a reliable part, designed to work in one weapon, can be inserted into another similar kind, work for awhile and then later have a serious failure due to the part not being designed specifically for the forces said firearm produces on that specific part.

Given your reply, and the kind of engineering time COLT has put into it's 9mm AR, to include recent factory upgrades to enhance it's reliability, it seems prudent to stick with the COLT factory setup for the 9mm caliber.

Again, thank you GSC for your time and outstanding triggers.
    Last edited by Slimcakes; 02-25-15 at 12:05.

Feedback Score
    Will the 6951 accept ALG triggers?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimcakes View Post
    ... it seems prudent to stick with the COLT factory setup for the 9mm caliber....
    That is the same conclusion I came to.

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-29-17 at 20:04.

Feedback Score
    I'll be testing the Geissele SD3G trigger in my newly manufactured RRA LAR-9 this weekend. According to an article...http://www.tactical-life.com/firearm...ls16-lar9-lead
    ...I found, the 9mm carbine bolt system has been redesigned in a way to allow a greater range of aftermarket components to be compatible with them. Wish me luck!

"Ramping is what allows users to use a standard-configuration hammer rather than a 9mm-specific hammer with the 9mm bolt. This is important because it allows you to use some of the specialty trigger and hammer sets that you couldn’t run with them previously. Not all of them, but most of them."

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-29-17 at 19:42.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast