Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MARS work...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'm thinking about it now, and I can't recall being quoted a set time. That being said, I did not expect it to be this long of a wait.

I do remember a phone call from him, about two years ago, and he was beginning the build then. We hashed out a few details.

I can't complain about contact-he has been great about answering texts. He has sent some pictures also of the progress of the build.

I am sure it will be worth the wait. I just hope that he is able to have the gun done in the next week or so, as he said in our most recent conversation.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I had an Axiom done a few years back, took a little over 26 months if I remember correctly. Once we were actually in the building phase, I got regular texts and picture updates and it went rather quickly. It was worth the wait, which I understand has gone down since he stopped taking new work for awhile until he got caught up. I'm considering having him install a Wilson BP ambi safety on mine now, wonder how long that would take. I have a Colt Series 70 repro in the safe waiting to be worked on someday when I have that kind of money lying around again.
    Disclaimer: I work for Suarez International as a customer service representative.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I would be very irritated to learn that others were being quoted 10 days and I was sitting at 1.5 years….
    Lshd, are you LE .mil etc...? I believe Steve makes duty guns a priority which may account for the 10 day quote.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would be very irritated to learn that others were being quoted 10 days and I was sitting at 1.5 years….
    Me too. I was quoted 6 months, that was over 4 1/2 years ago.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
    Lshd, are you LE .mil etc...? I believe Steve makes duty guns a priority which may account for the 10 day quote.
    I am LE and former MIL, and this pistol will be used as a duty pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by dsa View Post
    Me too. I was quoted 6 months, that was over 4 1/2 years ago.
    Am I reading this correctly? You have been waiting 4.5 years?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Am I reading this correctly? You have been waiting 4.5 years?
    Yep, 4.5 years and counting for a THUG. Steve has been good about responding to texts and I have received some recent pics of work in progress. Hopefully it will be in my hands soon. Not sure I would go this route again.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    4.5 years? Holy....

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsa View Post
    Yep, 4.5 years and counting for a THUG. Steve has been good about responding to texts and I have received some recent pics of work in progress. Hopefully it will be in my hands soon. Not sure I would go this route again.
    Thats insane, I hope the THUG is worth it for you. I'm hesitant to trust their quote at this point, but no other major smith is taking work or has a wait time under a year....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Me too. Try http://bullockcustom.com, he is near Steve and MARS does some machining work for him. I have heard good things and I believe his wait times are measured in months not years

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Mine is pushing 5 years at his shop. Frankly, I've run out of patience.

It's great to offer priority to LE/MIL duty guns, but if you get so much work from them that all other guns are perpetually on the back-burner it's poor business practice in my opinion. John Harrison has a much better system where he just puts your name on a waiting list and when he's actually ready to work on it is when he has you send the pistol in. Once my name came up on his list my pistol was only gone for 10 weeks.
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 02-26-15 at 19:05.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast