Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Federal .223 62gr Trophy Bonded Tip Coming

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHunter View Post
    Standard care and solvents work fine, I this watched carefully as they were the most accurate factory load from my long range precision rifle which has a competition Bartlein barrel.
    I wonder how they do in higher volume use, such as with an M4 type weapon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    How is bore fouling? Have to remove it with abrasives, or do they make a nickel solvent?
    All the nickel solvents I know of are something I wouldn't want to use outside of a fume hood.

That said, I wouldn't think it would be an issue, but curious to see more analysis.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-01-16 at 21:53.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    All the nickel solvents I know of are something I wouldn't want to use outside of a fume hood.

That said, I wouldn't think it would be an issue, but curious to see more analysis.
    It was a bit tongue in cheek...

The nickel plating concerns me. There is a reason cu-ni jackets were a thing of the past...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    My only issue is the premium price the stuff carries to go with the name. I've shot a fair bit of it in 308 and it performs well but it will break your shooting budget in no time.
    This is my go to hunting round in my 308s, and yes, freakin pricey.

EDIT LOL! Just saw this post:

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHunter View Post
    I can vouch for the .308 version of this design. It's my go to round for hunting. Excellent accuracy & very effective terminal performance. Glad is see it coming to .223 fun size version.
    Totally agree.
    Last edited by Brahmzy; 03-02-16 at 00:23.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
    This is my go to hunting round in my 308s, and yes, freakin pricey.

EDIT LOL! Just saw this post:

Totally agree.
    What's interesting to me is actually how cheap it is. It costs the same as a box of Federal Fusion in .223. I honestly don't know how that's possible given the cost to manufacture just a TBBC projectile.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Any more data about bore fouling? I know FlyingHunter addressed it, has anyone else had any experiences in higher round counts? I hate to harp on it, but "nickeling up a bore" would kindof dick a weapon up rather badly, so yeah, I'm harping on wanting an answer/more answers.

Feedback Score
    if and when it ever happened, it's not hard to reverse, with a bit of chemical and electrical knowledge. you just submerge it in the right bath of chemicals, with a rod thru the bore that will "reverse" the plating, from the rifling onto that rod.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by whilst View Post
    if and when it ever happened, it's not hard to reverse, with a bit of chemical and electrical knowledge. you just submerge it in the right bath of chemicals, with a rod thru the bore that will "reverse" the plating, from the rifling onto that rod.
    So..basically a real bitch compared to copper fouling and foaming bore cleaner.

Feedback Score
    So..basically a real bitch compared to copper fouling and foaming bore cleaner.
    Yea, making your bore the anode in an amateur electroplating experiment will not end well.

Feedback Score
    Any more data about bore fouling? I know FlyingHunter addressed it, has anyone else had any experiences in higher round counts? I hate to harp on it, but "nickeling up a bore" would kindof dick a weapon up rather badly, so yeah, I'm harping on wanting an answer/more answers.
    I decided to go right to the source and sent an inquiry to Federal. I basically asked two questions. Is their nickel plating harder on a bore, accelerating wear, when compared to traditional bullet materials. Is nickel fouling an issue, and how do they recommend one safely and effectively remove that nickel fouling. I'll pass along their reply if and when it's recieved.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast