Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Federal .223 62gr Trophy Bonded Tip Coming

Feedback Score
    Received a very short response from Federal. I sent a follow up, as the rep only addressed concerns over accelerated wear on the bore. They avoided the fouling question.

Federal's response, in its entirety, was as follows...

"Long term testing was done and the results was negligible with wear."

For those wanting to read the inquiry I'd sent, see below...

I have a couple questions in regards to your Trophy Bonded Tip line of ammo. Your data shows that the bullet is nickel plated. Has any long term testing been done on the nickel plating's effect on a rifle's bore? I've found conflicting arguments on some forums and figured I'd go to the source. The two most frequent "complaints" levied are as follows.

1) Nickel causes more wear on a bore than copper/lead/etc.

2) Nickel fouling is extremely difficult to remove, and the solvents/methods that work best for removal can harm the bore.

So, would you be able to shed some light on the above items? Does the nickel plating used in your bullets cause greater wear on a rifle bore? Do your nickel plated bullets deposit fouling that is difficult to remove? What do you recommend to successfully remove nickel fouling from a rifle bore?

Maybe the person that my question had reached doesn't know enough to comment in detail? Maybe company protocol restricts how much information can be shared? Maybe they're crazy busy and didn't take much time to read through the inquiry? Maybe...?

I'll post an update if they reply to my follow-up. Although, based upon their first response, I'm not overly confident that they'll provide additional information. To me, it seems that the lack of detail may affirm that nickel fouling can be an issue. But for now I'll continue to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Looking for an update on the fouling issue (or lack)...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Looking for an update on the fouling issue (or lack)...
    Federal never replied to my follow-up. So, no new info there. My personal data isn't significant enough to provide much either; as I've only shot a couple boxes worth. Too expensive to do my own extensive testing
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    All I know is German DAG 7.62 NATO and Swiss 5.56 GP90 used to use cupronickel jackets and had problems with fouling. Not sure if the Federal plating is the same but Im not willing to put these down my barrel if it will be a bitch to get out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234