Thread: First round hops out of fully loaded usgi mag...

Feedback Score

First round hops out of fully loaded usgi mag...

Just wondering if anyone else experiences this situation:
    -Insert a fully loaded 30 round usgi mag into magwell on a closed bolt, pull charging handle to rear, lock bolt open. The first found hops halfway out of the top of the magazine.
    Is this common?
    It happens with every other magazine i have out of 30 mags so basically 15/30. On 3/5 of my guns.
    Searched and couldnt find any info.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The air force taught me to never insert a loaded mag on a closed bolt and I've been shooting that way every since. I always get a kick out of watching people insert a fully loaded mag on a closed bolt and then laughing when they rack the bolt back, pull the trigger and then "click" , nothing happens and then the magazine falls out.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merle View Post
    The air force taught me to never insert a loaded mag on a closed bolt and I've been shooting that way every since. I always get a kick out of watching people insert a fully loaded mag on a closed bolt and then laughing when they rack the bolt back, pull the trigger and then "click" , nothing happens and then the magazine falls out.
    This is usually not a problem for me if I load the USGI mags to 28 rds. Using PMAGs, I have no issues at all doing this with 30 rds.

However, I find that you are correct in that you should probably lock the bolt back first if you're loading a USGI mag to the full 30 rds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockup1109 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone else experiences this situation:
    -Insert a fully loaded 30 round usgi mag into magwell on a closed bolt, pull charging handle to rear, lock bolt open. The first found hops halfway out of the top of the magazine.
    Is this common?
    It happens with every other magazine i have out of 30 mags so basically 15/30. On 3/5 of my guns.
    Searched and couldnt find any info.
    Thanks
    As the carrier travels rearward across the top round it hits the tail of the cartridge and can cause it to tilt. Old, worn mags with spread feeds lips exacerbate the issue. You can also reproduce it in new, unfired guns and mags if you ride the carrier to that point slowly and watch for it.

Check your mags. Open the bolt deliberately to lock it.

Quote Originally Posted by Merle View Post
    The air force taught me to never insert a loaded mag on a closed bolt and I've been shooting that way every since.
    How then did AF members, esp daily gun toters like SP/SFS personnel, comply with applicable AFRs/OIs/etc for the weapon carry conditions for various posts? Perhaps one of M4C's many CATM cadre can chime in with further.

I always get a kick out of watching people insert a fully loaded mag on a closed bolt and then laughing when they rack the bolt back, pull the trigger and then "click" , nothing happens and then the magazine falls out.
    User error, fixed by proper technique. Push-pull. Positive insertion to seating, followed by a pull downward to check.

Downloading a mag to 28 can be helpful.

Have a chuckle, then show them the way.

Racks of ARs in vehicles and storage have loaded mags under closed bolts. I wonder what legions of mil, LE, and citizens are missing here...
    Last edited by ST911; 09-22-12 at 17:16.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    How then did AF members, esp daily gun toters like SP/SFS personnel, comply with applicable AFRs/OIs/etc for the weapon carry conditions for various posts? Perhaps one of M4C's many CATM cadre can chime in with further.
    I'm not or never was SP/SFS so I couldn't tell you. I'm in aircraft maintenance and every time I qualified with the M16 this is the way they told us to do it.

Feedback Score
    I was really just curious if this was normal. The mags are all brand new Okay Industries USGI mags. They arent causing feeding issues. I just down load them to 28 so i dont need to keep track of which ones hop and which ones dont. I keep my rifle at home loaded on a closed bolt empty chamber safety off hammer up. I have a two year old son so no round in the chamber. Thats why im just going to down load them to avoid a possible f2f of the first round.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    I just load to 28.

I had the same problem at a match once.

Rifle in a rack, unloaded, on signal retrieve gun, load and engage blah, blah, blah...

I crammed in that mag loaded to 30 rounds, charged it, dead trigger, tap, rack, attempt, dead trigger again, stuck charging handle, ripped mag out, collapsed the stock and mortared a bird nest of M855 out of the upper.

Helluva way to download a mag, I even thought about the palm down to check the ejection port like Jason Falla taught me, but I was tryin' to go ninja-fast!.
    Last edited by samuse; 09-22-12 at 20:40.