Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage 10 PC 308 carbine shoots good.

Feedback Score
    They shoot right out of the box! With good match ammo 1/2 MOA is about the norm. I missed the rebate by 2 weeks. I guess the Savage 10 FCP-SR 20"replaced the Savage Precision police carbine in 2015, different bolt handle, BLK.stock and magazine assy. ,fluted barrel still cut for can and scope mount,moved the take down to side of rec.. Nice rifle and good shooter. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPSR This is interesting too!!http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11Scout Put a Aimpoint on this bad boy!! This is another interesting rifle, http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11HOGHUNTER
    Last edited by fowler; 02-27-15 at 06:16.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not surprising. Savage is known for putting out an accurate barrel.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not surprising. Savage is known for putting out an accurate barrel.
    Sigh....
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So I went to cabelas to grab some .223. Not my first choice but they had rem mfs for not to bad of a butt rape. While I was there I asked to fondle some of the bolt guns as I am growing bolt-curious. After looking at the sako, Tikka, and even Remington, the savage seemed like the rifle to beat. I handed back the model 10T and went home. Later that night sold the wife on the rifle. Sweet. So I swing by later the very next day like a John going to the bunny ranch after payday. They sold it.

Wasn't meant to be.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Sigh....
    Double sigh.....

Feedback Score
    I'll post something more extensive elsewhere, but I took my new Savage to the range yesterday. Shooting off sandbags, ball ammo consistently grouped 2" to 2-1/2" at 100yds. FGMM was 3/4" at 100yds, and 1-3/8" at 200yds.

On the downside, as everybody else has said, Savage's magazine stinks. When the mag is full, then it's tough to drive the cartridges out with the bolt, and it self-releases when firing. Sigh...

Feedback Score
    my 2013 pc 308 does not drop the magazine,I understand the new ones are differrent and the release can hit the bag on recoil releasing it.Try a bipod like harris on your new rifle . You must have a plastic 10 shot?? I think the new ones are made cheaper than the the last model.Mine has a metal flush 4 shot magazine and feeds like butter first to last shot. It was 36 degrees today . 3 shot group 100yds 1/2" RL15 ,168 gr. Hornady Match bullet ,PPU case,WW primer standard, 8 shots 200yds sub 2". Very good.
    Last edited by fowler; 03-04-15 at 16:16.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fowler View Post
    I understand the new ones are differrent and the release can hit the bag on recoil releasing it...

Yeah, this is the 10-round mag, which is a known issue...

Nothing's hitting the mag release. I'm using a "Rock Jr." tripod-type rest on the front, and a Protektor bag under the buttstock, and nothing's anywhere near the mag release.

The mag doesn't actually fall out, it just disengages 1/8" or 1/4", so that the bolt runs over the next cartridge, instead of pushing it forward.

I just bought a slightly used 4-round mag (off eBay!), and it seems to fit in the gun better than the 10-rounder. We'll see...

Feedback Score
    I hate plastic magazines too,won't even use them in Ar's.Call Savage with your problem.10 rd plastic won't fit the PC carbine.
    Last edited by fowler; 03-04-15 at 20:08.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fowler View Post
    10 rd plastic won't fit the PC carbine.
    Actually, I think it will... the top of the magazine is a standard metal 4-rnd Savage .308 mag, but there's a big plastic mag extension hanging off the bottom of it.

The problem seems to be that the plastic mag extension fits too snugly against the bottom metal, and it wants to pop out. Maybe after everybody complained that the old mags rattled round, Savage overshot and made these too tight.

FWIW, I have a new "2015" Savage FCP-SR, not the older FCP-SR, which used AI-pattern mags.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12