Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New bolt catch from Forward Controls

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Nothing against Roger for trying but what does it do that the POF catch hasn't been doing for a while? Why does he want to reinvent the wheel?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Looks great - can't wait to give it a try.

How would this work the the Redi-Bolt Catch sold by Boonie Packer? Would the slight outward angle of the top face of the ABC/R affect how it would interact with the Redi-Catch?

A Pic of the Redi-catch for reference:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    GH41, I haven't seen the POF bolt catch till now. Slightly different execution of the same idea. The ABC/R's top paddle is angled and enlarged, and has lightening cuts to keep its weight close to the factory bolt catch. Bolt catch with enlarged paddles are heavier (more material), I don't know what POF's weighs.

Design goals and rough concept drawings existed as far back as 2011 while I was at Battle Arms.

I don't have a Red-Catch to test yet. The top paddle has two angles, from top to bottom, 10 degrees and 5 degrees. The spring/rod of the Redi-Catch may need to be bent outward a bit to come in contact with the upper 50% of the top paddle.

The ABC/R is and will be machined from bar stock, no MIM now or ever in its future

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Thanks for the quick response!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Ill buy one.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Looks good Roger...
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I run the Norgon ambi catch on a few lowers and I am interested in this. It looks like the interface to the mag follower is extended a little bit also. What's your time to market on these?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    It is great to see continued refinement of AR control components with enhanced function.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    Looks great - can't wait to give it a try.

How would this work the the Redi-Bolt Catch sold by Boonie Packer? Would the slight outward angle of the top face of the ABC/R affect how it would interact with the Redi-Catch?

A Pic of the Redi-catch for reference:

That is interesting. I love the idea of actuating the bolt catch with the mag release, It sure speeds things up with a nasty malfunction and is nice for administrative use also. I don't understand some of the hesitance toward the concept, you are never going to inadvertently lock the bolt back by accident when you need it in action since if you need your bolt reciprocating you also need your magazine seated! The ADAC is a much cleaner execution of the idea but it requires the receiver to be drilled at an angle with a modified bolt catch and magazine release button to engage the pin, which due to the patent AXTS holds, only licensed lowers can be made with the ADAC set-up. The Redi-mag cleverly and conveniently gets around this by being a bolt on part, it would be really cool if it was also was a left side mag release like a Troy or KAC design (Norgon's design doesn't look like it could be incorporated).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I might have to try one of these on my f$&#-around AR.
    http://www.m4carbine.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20651&dateline=1303766618

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    I don't understand some of the hesitance toward the concept
    I don't want my (partially) loaded magazine dropping to the ground if I have to clear a malfunction. What if it's the only magazine I have? Now I have to go looking for it and hope the rounds didn't pop out like a jack in the box or snap a feed lip.

Additionally, it is much easier to remove the magazine, grab the rifle underneath with the strong hand (right handed) using your middle finger to depress the bolt catch and then using the weak hand to pull the CH back.

How does one even reach the bolt catch easily with the mag in the way?

Edit: Just tried it - okay, so you have to use your strong hand to rack the CH to the rear and weak hand to press the bolt catch. No me gusta.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 02-27-15 at 15:05.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast