Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: New bolt catch from Forward Controls

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Looks good.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Will it be available in FDE ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All color options are on the table, as soon as there is enough volume in a production run from which to divert a portion for FDE and OD. The initial run is rather small.

Nobody has said it yet, that it's a solution in search of a problem. I have heard this said about many things, including projects I've been involved in. I think that statement, while not untrue, is only applicable to those that don't have the problem the very solution seeks to address or mitigate. To those of us healthy people with full use of our legs, a wheelchair is a solution in search of a problem

Here's something that might just make some m4c members say it, the LDFA (low drag forward assist). The LDFA is a rimless FA that follows the evolution of life on planet: useful things get bigger and better, less useful ones get smaller or go away. I don't want the FA to go away, I do want it to not catch on my fingernail when I use an ambi charging handle

Here is an uncoated Ti version with Mega Arms Slide Lock ambi charging handle:

Here you can see the scratch my fingernail on the FA housing when I pulled back the Slide Lock charging handle with my right hand. I didn't do it on purpose to leave a mark there, but it does demonstrate the reason for a rimless FA.

For those without an ambi charging handle, or have an upper that places the FA forward towards the ejection port, or simply use their palm to pull back on the ambi charging handle, the LDFA still offers a smaller foot print for a rarely used device, but its usefulness isn't as amplified as it is to folks like me and many I know that do find the rim of the FA in the way.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    It is great to see continued refinement of AR control components with enhanced function.

That is interesting. I love the idea of actuating the bolt catch with the mag release, It sure speeds things up with a nasty malfunction and is nice for administrative use also. I don't understand some of the hesitance toward the concept, you are never going to inadvertently lock the bolt back by accident when you need it in action since if you need your bolt reciprocating you also need your magazine seated! The ADAC is a much cleaner execution of the idea but it requires the receiver to be drilled at an angle with a modified bolt catch and magazine release button to engage the pin, which due to the patent AXTS holds, only licensed lowers can be made with the ADAC set-up. The Redi-mag cleverly and conveniently gets around this by being a bolt on part, it would be really cool if it was also was a left side mag release like a Troy or KAC design (Norgon's design doesn't look like it could be incorporated).
    I first saw this down by [now defunct] RevEng. They called it the 'FCD' (Firearms Control Device) as well. I actually clicked on this thread hoping it was a re-release. The RevEng was one-piece but did require the removal of the bolt catch for installation. Glad to see someone else doing it, as I only have a couple FCDs and am in wanting for more.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dave, FCD in this case is Forward Controls Design, though I don't usually call it FCD, only Forward Controls

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Dave, FCD in this case is Forward Controls Design, though I don't usually call it FCD, only Forward Controls
    Oh I realize that. Your bolt stop looks fantastic--love the lightening cuts to help prevent mags not locking back on empty (something which rears it's ugly head with many other oversized latches/attachments)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Double tap.
    Last edited by Dave_M; 02-28-15 at 09:42.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks Dave I'll leave the lightweight stuff to others, lightweight components are not on the road map of Forward Controls.

The bolt catch spring is tasked with handling a bolt catch of a known weight, the bolt catch should be of similar weight. For a bolt catch with augmented paddles with additional mass and weight, I'm well aware of the potential issues the extra heft can bring. Solving one problem by creating another isn't our way of problem solving

Feedback Score
    56 (100%)
    Welcome back to the land of the living, friend! Very glad to see what Forward Controls is bringing to the table soon, I've been watching the facebook page since you dropped the hint a few months back. I have been long since done with gimmicky "solutions" like the BAD lever - induced malfs, no thanks - but IMHO there's room in the market for a solid, machined-not-cast bolt catch with easy-actuation controls at top and bottom.

Also like the sleek forward assist design, though I'm not sure if I like it enough to replace them on my (preferred) VLTOR MUR uppers. I've heard fwd assist removal or exchange on those is a bit of a bear, anyone here confirm/deny?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you kindly

The LDFA isn't needed on the MUR, or other uppers that place the FA further forward towards the ejection port, as its placement on these uppers already solves the problem of the FA's rim catching on fingernail or knuckles.

Thus, the LDFA is useful to folks with standard upper receivers equipped with ambi charging handles. It is a purpose designed piece, its usefulness is applicable to a specific segment of users.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast