Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C-Diff Infections kill 15,000 people per year

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I've worked in healthcare for almost 25 years. You guys are talking about fixing C-Diff once you have it, but perhaps a more important aspect of it is preventing the spread of C-diff in hospital/nursing home settings. For instance I do not touch ANY patient unless I have gloves on, EVER. Then those gloves are discarded in the trash and new ones put on before the next patient contact. A patient in any type of isolation gets an el-cheapo disposable stethoscope from me if they don't already have one; even with those not in isolation I put a glove over the end of my own scope to auscultate. The longer I do this the more OC about it I get.

I've seen some things with regards to infection control (or lack thereof) that would make your head spin.
    From my OP: "The bulk of infections can be both avoided and or treated, and it's an area that could be vastly improved"

Prevention is key.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Had a run of this stuff two years ago after oral surgery. I was prescribed massive antibiotics and no probiotic. Worst part was being out of town over the weekend that it hit. I waited until I got home to go to the hospital. By then, I was in the hospital for five days. Don't mess around. If you get on an antibiotic, take a probiotic.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I've worked in healthcare for almost 25 years. You guys are talking about fixing C-Diff once you have it, but perhaps a more important aspect of it is preventing the spread of C-diff in hospital/nursing home settings. For instance I do not touch ANY patient unless I have gloves on, EVER. Then those gloves are discarded in the trash and new ones put on before the next patient contact. A patient in any type of isolation gets an el-cheapo disposable stethoscope from me if they don't already have one; even with those not in isolation I put a glove over the end of my own scope to auscultate. The longer I do this the more OC about it I get.
    Reasonable infection control procedures, not helpful in preventing C difficile infection.

C. Diff is out in the community now, not just a hospital acquired infection. Additionally, a significant developing risk factor in C. diff infection is the use of proton pump inhibitors (Prilosec, Nexium, etc).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Reasonable infection control procedures, not helpful in preventing C difficile infection.

C. Diff is out in the community now, not just a hospital acquired infection. Additionally, a significant developing risk factor in C. diff infection is the use of proton pump inhibitors (Prilosec, Nexium, etc).
    Come again? Infection control is key to preventing the spread of C-Diff (or anything else) in a hospital setting. I'm not sure if "reasonable" and what defines that is your point (?).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    'scuse me. I should have added "in a non-outbreak situation".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas42 View Post
    I suspect that in 15 years fecal transplant will be in pill form, but if we wanted a fecal transplant here we'd probably have to refer it out.

That or buy some blenders and recruit volunteers. Also I'm not sure there are studies regarding fecal transplant in the setting of severe sepsis, septic shock or generally immunocompromised states.

Normally either vancomycin or metronidazole are given in the hospital. Fidoxomycin is also used, but I've never used it. It's brand name Dificid, is kind of funny. Also very expensive. The different c diff tests aren't perfect either.
    Here is the first study of oral, frozen, crap for the treatment of C. diff. Side effects include severe, refractory halitosis...
    http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article....icleid=1916296
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Here is the first study of oral, frozen, crap for the treatment of C. diff. Side effects include severe, refractory halitosis...
    And all this time, I never realized my boss was sick...... my bad.

I should have gotten him a get-well card instead of breath mints.

Chortle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Drum/cymbal.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12