Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Planning on buying a new tactical rifle soon. Advice needed!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliminite View Post
    what did you think of the RockRiver?
    I don't know if I'm the best person to ask because that was the first time i shot an AR15.

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentTrailer30 View Post
    So I went to the range with some friends to try some rifles. I got to shoot an LMT and a Rock River. It was a lot of fun. One guy at the range was shooting a SCAR 17s and he was nice enough to let us all shoot it. It really didn't kick that much more than the ARs that I shot. My buddy with the rock river got the itch and now wants one. I showed him that cool SCAR 17s from Handl that the FOX guy posted and he wants it even more!

Now for the good news! My friend with the LMT owes me some cash, so he decided to settle the debt with the LMT! So now I own an AR15! AWESOME!!! I also ran into an NRA instructor that does basic rifle classes so I'm going to invest in some range time to learn the basics of operating an AR15.
    LMT's are also very good guns. On par with Cold, DD, BCM, KAC. I've had one for about 7 years. In about 16K through it, the only issues I've had are 4 failures to extract due to needing to replace my extractor spring. For a $4 part I proactively replace every 2-3K.

Edit. Mine is a bit overgassed. I replaced the action spring with the Sprinco Blue and the buffer with an H1 buffer.

http://www.sprinco.com/recoil.html
    Last edited by Caeser25; 03-10-15 at 16:21.
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caeser25 View Post
    With your budget you really can get 2 rifles. A QC inspected WASR from Atlantic Firearms and a 6920 from somewhere else. That leaves you with a little under a grand for ammo and mags for both. You can add slings and optics later after you get some trigger time on each.
    With 2500, don't get a WASR.

Get an Arsenal AK47 (around $1k) and the rest on a Colt/DD/BCM AR15. If you get the Colt 6920 you may have enough money left for some ammo and mags to start with.

It seems you want a SCAR17 though. I don't blame you, because I want one myself for my first 308. The price of the rifle is quite high, but it is a very light and durable rifle that has a good rep.

Another big thing to consider as others said, can you fund the ammo if you get a 308? it may make more sense to start with a smaller caliber first (5.56 or x39) and go from there.

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    With 2500, don't get a WASR.

Get an Arsenal AK47 (around $1k) and the rest on a Colt/DD/BCM AR15. If you get the Colt 6920 you may have enough money left for some ammo and mags to start with.

It seems you want a SCAR17 though. I don't blame you, because I want one myself for my first 308. The price of the rifle is quite high, but it is a very light and durable rifle that has a good rep.

Another big thing to consider as others said, can you fund the ammo if you get a 308? it may make more sense to start with a smaller caliber first (5.56 or x39) and go from there.
    Now that he paid nothing for his AR, an Arsenal 107F would be the one to get. There's nothing wrong with a properly built WASR 10/63. If you buy from Atlantic they inspect them before they ship.
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

Feedback Score
    That's cool that you got one rifle under your belt. Sounds like you have a SCAR budget to play with. From the choices you listed I was going to say the either the SCAR if you are prepared for that kind of ammo expense, or the Beretta ARX and a good AR. ARs are dirt cheap right now. No better time to get one or two more. Maybe a Tavor and AR. Or AR and Arsenal 107FR.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caeser25 View Post
    Now that he paid nothing for his AR, an Arsenal 107F would be the one to get. There's nothing wrong with a properly built WASR 10/63. If you buy from Atlantic they inspect them before they ship.
    I just recently acquired the SLR107FR. It is a fantastic rifle. No need for a milled SAM7SF unless you prefer the extra features.

What I don't like with WASR's are the sub-par quality. I had one as my first AK, and although it shot perfectly fine, I'd recommend a different AK before it.

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    I just recently acquired the SLR107FR. It is a fantastic rifle. No need for a milled SAM7SF unless you prefer the extra features.

What I don't like with WASR's are the sub-par quality. I had one as my first AK, and although it shot perfectly fine, I'd recommend a different AK before it.
    That's the thing with the ones from Atlantic, they inspect them before shipping.

Feedback Score
    Why don't you snatch up one of these babies.

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/hcar

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234